1752717 Members
5513 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unable to change the boot controller proliant ml350 g5

derekb_1

Unable to change the boot controller proliant ml350 g5

Hello,

We just received a proliant ml350 g5 server. The server was ordered in parts, so it is not configured. If someone could answer a few questions I would appreciate it.

1. How do you change the boot controller?
I have the Smart array E200i controller as 1 and a pci ide controller as 2. I have tried to switch the order in the rom setup tool, but it doesn't give me the chance to switch the order.

2. Is it possible to use a single SATA or IDE drive for the OS install?

3. From what I have read it seems as though everyone just uses the array, then partitions the "logical" drive to break up the OS and storage. Is this the proper/only way?

thanks

4 REPLIES 4
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: Unable to change the boot controller proliant ml350 g5

Hello Derek,

1. Which PCI IDE card is it ? Since there are none(i think) from HP compatible with this server. Only 1 or 2 3rd party Cards actually works on this server.

2. Yes, Once you get the so called "PCI IDE Controller" to get working.

3. Its not ONLY/Proper way. Thats the BEST way, I should say;

Regards.
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

A PCI IDE controller? Is that an HP approved and supported part? Because I don't see any such controller in server options.
Anyway, if you enter RBSU pressing F9, there's an entry called Boot Controller Order. That's where one can chose which disk controller is the primary.
I you use a RAID controller, you must create a RAID and a logical unit, even if it's only a RAID 0 with a single disk.
Typically people use several disks in RAID, and then divide the total space in several logical units.
derekb_1

Thanks for everyone's input.

I am going to just setup up 2 logical drives.
actually almost done

thanks again
derekb_1

thanks