Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to make proper use of "hpasm-7.6.0-111.sles9.i586.rpm" on ML530-G1

Cantalis
Occasional Contributor

Unable to make proper use of "hpasm-7.6.0-111.sles9.i586.rpm" on ML530-G1

Hello,

I have a ML530 (G1) with BIOS P19 and SLES 9.3 running ('uname -a' brings up 'Linux ML530 2.6.5-7.244-bigsmp...').

For this type of 'old' equipment I read: "PSP Version 7.60 is the last version
that supports NON-RBSU ProLiant servers". So in a first step I installed the package hpasm-7.6.0-111.sles9.i586.rpm (and nothing more), SNMP is already functional on this machine (checked with '/etc/init.d/snmpd status').

When starting hpasm ('/etc/init.d/hpasm start') I see messages like "Starting ProLiant System Health Monitor (hpasmd):" with nothing coming after the ":". Other posts about this topic show something like '[OK]' or '[SUCCESS]' after the ":". So I have the impression that something goes wrong here.

Another check shows that the line 'hpasmcli -s "show fans"' shows on my machine something like
"#1 PROCESSOR_ZONE Yes NORMAL N/A No"
but I know from other machines that the same command brings up messages like
"#1 PROCESSOR_ZONE Yes NORMAL 49% Yes",
the difference being in the percentage given on a hpasm-functional machine ('49%') while on my machine it simply says 'N/A'.

This seems to me as a second indication that hpasm is not running properly.

Does anybody know these symptoms of hpasm behaviour on older servers and can give me any hint how to check further what the cause might be?

Any suggestions are highly welcome!

Best regards
-Roland

3 REPLIES
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Unable to make proper use of "hpasm-7.6.0-111.sles9.i586.rpm" on ML530-G1

> the difference being in the percentage given on a hpasm-functional machine ('49%') while on my machine it simply says 'N/A'.

This might be because the monitoring chip in your older system does not have fan speed percentage indication, but only OK / NOT OK information. I have some older servers I can check later today... I'll have to refresh my memory, but I think some servers used to have the fan information in such a format.

After installing the hpasm RPM, I think you should run something like "hpasm configure" to add the necessary lines to snmpd configuration and initialize various other things. Did you do that?

MK
MK
Cantalis
Occasional Contributor

Matti, thanks for the fast reply. The date codes on the chip packages on the mainboard indicate something like "year 2000".

When trying to install hpasm I relied on a HP document "Managing ProLiant servers with Linux, HowTo", #TC040806HT, 08/2004. I followed the steps outlined in chapter "Installing the Health Monitor and agents" pg.20. First step there is to install the hpasm package ("rpm -ivh hpasm-7.6.0....") and then type "hpasm activate".

That is very close to what you asked:
>After installing the hpasm RPM, I think you >should run something like "hpasm configure" >to add the necessary lines to snmpd >configuration and initialize various other >things. Did you do that?

I think that "hpasm activate" contains the steps from "hpasm configure". (I used 'hpasm configure')

What I have been asked then is SNMP details like community strings (but nothing which is more specific, like thresholds or MIB-details). This step ends with the output:

NOTE: New snmpd.conf entries were added to the top of /etc/snmpd.conf
NOTE: New cma.conf entries were added to the top of /opt/compaq/cma.conf
Starting HP Server Management Drivers and Agents, please wait ...

The above mentioned document explains the next step to do as:
"To check if the Health monitor is loaded properly, type the following command (which is only available when logged in as..."root"): ps -efm | grep hpasmd
You should see a listing of the processes named hpasmd. There will be 13+ of these entries"

When I enter this command on my actual machine I get as output:
ML530:/etc # ps -efm | grep hpasmd
root 11848 1 0 Apr15 ? 00:03:49 hpasmd
root 10436 6768 0 10:27 pts/0 00:00:00 grep hpasmd
ML530:/etc #

This is the first point where I see that the installation is not behaving like described by HP.

Nevetheless I can issue the following command on my machine:
ML530:/etc # hplog -t
ID TYPE LOCATION STATUS CURRENT THRESHOLD
1 Maxim 1617 CPU (1) Nominal 73F/ 23C 230F/110C
2 Maxim 1617 CPU (2) Nominal 73F/ 23C 230F/110C
3 LM75 Sensor Processor Zone Nominal 66F/ 19C 127F/ 53C
4 LM75 Sensor I/O Zone Nominal 66F/ 19C 150F/ 66C
5 LM75 Sensor SCSI Backplane Nominal 75F/ 24C 150F/ 66C

It also works with:

ML530:/etc # hpasmcli -s "show temp"

Failed to read embedded NIC status.
This system may not have any embedded NICs installed.

Sensor Location Temp Threshold
------ -------- ---- ---------
#0 SYSTEM_BD - -
#1 CPU#1 23C/73F 110C/230F
#2 CPU#2 23C/73F 110C/230F
#3 PROCESSOR_ZONE 20C/68F 53C/127F
#4 I/O_ZONE 20C/68F 66C/150F
#5 SCSI_BACKPLANE_ZONE 24C/75F 66C/150F

The fans are on a very high noise level all the time, and from the actual temperatures you see that inside the server I have something like "room temperature", FAR away from any critical threshold.

The HP document says: "After the installation process....On systems with variable speed fans, you may notice that the fans will start spinning more slowly if the temperature is reasonably low".

My fans never spin "more slowly", directly after power-on/boot they sound like a jet engine during take-off, and then after a couple of seconds after boot they slow down, but only a bit (still very loud). The above temperature readings after days of uninterrupted operation indicate to me that the fan speeds could be decreased further.

Up to now I had the impression that the fans must be controllable (and I still think they are) and I am doing something wrong during hpasm installation (see the output for "ps -efm | grep hpasmd").

Best regards
-Roland

Cantalis
Occasional Contributor

I have tackled this problem from another side (installing the complete PSP with the install script instead of manually install single components, e.g. hpasm). For the question regarding PSP I have openend another thread.