1753731 Members
4667 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to remove thumb drive

Tongs Lee

Unable to remove thumb drive

Hi all,

I got this USB thumb drive problem, the drive can loads/use correctly in windows 2000 server with SP3 (ProLiant DL380 G3) but unable to remove through the "unplug/eject hardware icon" on the task bar. The "unplug or eject hardware" dialog box stop responding.
The strange thing is, the drive can work/load/eject well in HP windows desktop. Any body experiences this and any suggestion??

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Jeff Mathews
Respected Contributor

Have you compared what USB version you are using on the desktop and the server? I would guess you have the USB 2.0 driver loaded on the workstations that are working, but not on the server. I have seen problems when mismatching USB 1.0 or 2.0.
Tongs Lee

Hi,Thanks for the reply.Both server & desktop using USB2 driver, the desktop is running win2000 pro with SP3.Anyway, I find-out this is a intermittent problem. It appears on four HP/Compaq DL380G3 server, when the thumb drive not safe to remove. It prompt me this message "The device 'Generic volume' cannot be stopped right now. Try stopping the device again later."Any idea??Thanks
sam bruskin

hi
i found this message when i searched to find out what is a USB Thumb drive? i still do not know. can you help? thanks.