Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to see external tape drive from ML350 G6 using SAS expander card

adderrh1
Occasional Visitor

Unable to see external tape drive from ML350 G6 using SAS expander card

Hi,

I have a new ML350 G6. The purpose is for replication and backup. The current config is a P410 array controller and 4TB of disk space. I have also bought a Quantum scalar i40 tape drive with a SAS connection. I put the HP SAS expander card into the server. I have tried two different flavours of build 1) VMWare ESXi 4 - with Windows 2008 guest OS 2) standard Windows 2008 build.

With the VMware install the guest windows 2008 OS did see the expandar card as a device but was unable to see the attached Quantum tape drive

With the Windows 2008 install the SAS card is not visible, but I understand that this may be the case as its transparent to the OS but I still can't see the Quantum tape drive.

Could anyone verify if there is something I have missed. I have run the HP SUM and confirmed all firmware is up to date. Same for the quantum drive. If I am just using the expander card for the external tape drive is it OK just configured in the PCI slot? The installation instruction defer to expaning the RAID which is not what I'm after.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks