5980 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unabled to configure static IP on DL380 G5 after P2Proliant

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Unabled to configure static IP on DL380 G5 after P2Proliant

Hi,

This weekend I tried to use the HP P2Proliant software to migrate and old DL380 G1 server to a new DL380 G5. The migration worked fine, except when I went to configure the NIC on the new server with the static IP that the original server had. It would accept the IP and not give any errors, but when I would go back in to check it out, it goes back to DHCP. It will no keep its static IP address.

I then tried updating drives - no good. I tried removing drivers and reinstalling - no good. No matter what I do, I cannot get it to take a static IP.

Now - I made it worse. I tried uninstalling the NICs a second time and one of the two NICs is locked in with "unknown driver". I cant update it (says "Access is denied") and I cannot remove it (says it is need to boot the system ???). The other driver I can remove - and it gets auto-detected after a reboot, but the one NIC I cannot remove or update.

Anyone have any ideas? This is NOT rocket science - I have done this 1000 times and configuring a NIC with a static IP "just works" 100% of the time - I am litterally pulling my hair out on what should be a seamingly simple task.

Thanks
Nelson
5 REPLIES 5
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

OK - got the bogus device removed. Had to use "Add/Remove" hardware. I was trying to uninstall it from the "Devices" list under "Computer Management".

But I am still back at my original problem. It will not let me assign ANY static address to ANY NIC - it goes back to DHCP when I go back into the NIC IP configuration.

Nelson
Bryan Eley
Trusted Contributor

Hi Nelson,

Is it possibly an issue with the fact that the DL380 G5s use Broadcom NetXtreme II NIC chips and virtual buses? Broadcom has a faq (#99) about this at http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/faq_drivers.php, and their faq is summed up from Microsoft :

"You cannot configure a network adapter that resides on a virtual bus to use a static IP address in an automated deployment of Windows Server 2003"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920293/en-us

Best,
Bryan
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, but:

1) I am using Windows 2000, not Windows 2003
2) I am not using an automated setup. I used the HP Physical to Proliant software to copy an image of the original server hardware to the new server hardware.

Thanks
Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

My co-worker just got it working. He had to rip all the nework settings out of ***ControlSet## in the registry, reboot and reinstall the drivers.

Man - that P2Proliant sure did a number on this server.

Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

See last entry in this thread.