1752631 Members
5520 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Unclearable connections

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Unclearable connections

This system has 2 700Mhz processors 2GB of memory in addition to the 2 scsi channels that are integrated it has a 5300 Disk array card 4 channels 128MB cache on the card, also 1 single port and 2 dual port 3134 10/100 Ethernet cards. There is an external 40/80 Compaq DLT tape drive connected to the second onboard scsi channel, and 2 9.1GB 7200 rpm scsi drives are connected to the first scsi channel, one is used as the boot drive, the other is a separate volume. The boot drive has a system util partition, a 1.5G dos partition, and the rest of the drive is a NetWare file system sys: volume. The Disk array has 2 3 drive arrays using 18.2G drives, that are 2 separate volumes. Also the 5300 card has been updated with the latest software support disk Version 4.94B driver. The Nic cards are using the latest Nic drivers (I have tried both Compaq and Intel drivers). The ML570 BIOS firmware has been updated with the latest patch on the web site. I am using the latest NSSD files from the web. The NetWare 5.1 has the latest patches from Novell post SP2a. We are running file and print services only, using NDPS for the print services. The tape drive is used for backup running ArcserveIt 6.6 with the latest patches from CA, and their canwpa driver. There isn't any type of Virus scanner on the file server, but the workstations are running either McAfee or Norton Virus scanning software. The users that are using Microsoft Office 97 sr2 have the most problems when previewing or opening .jpg files. The files do not close on the server when they switch from file to file.
This will leave the files open even when the user has logged out. The hung files seem to occur most when a user has crashed out of an application, but just as often it happens when browsing through .jpg files in Windows File Explorer. I have read and tried to follow the Novell TID 10020786. None of this has helped. Does anyone have this same problem, and have you found a solution for it.
Any help would be appreciated
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Unclearable connections

Try updating the Microsoft Office Suite and updating the NIC drivers for the workstations .