1753599 Members
6438 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Uncorrectable Memory Error + Correct DIMM config

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Uncorrectable Memory Error + Correct DIMM config

This is a support query I sent Compaq earlier.......anyone offer any experience they have had themselves relating to my fault? Thanks in advance.....

I have just migrated my Novell GroupWise email system onto a Proliant ML530, previously this server had only ran as a backup server.

The GroupWise installation was a success and the GroupWise EMail modules ran OK for a few hours and then there was a fault which occured several times. This error was:-

"Uncorrectable Memory Error (System Memory, Memory Module 2)".

I shutdown my server and on checking how the DIMMs were installed noticed the following:-

DIMM Slot 1 - empty
DIMM Slot 2 - 128Mb
DIMM Slot 3 - 512Mb
DIMM Slot 4 - 512Mb
DIMM Slot 5 - 512Mb
DIMM Slot 6 - 512Mb
DIMM Slot 7 - empty
DIMM Slot 8 - empty

According to the info on the server casing, DIMM slots should be populated in the following order: Slot 1,5,2,6,3,7,4,8. I have now configured my server as follows:-

DIMM Slot 1 - 512Mb
DIMM Slot 2 - 512Mb
DIMM Slot 3 - empty
DIMM Slot 4 - empty
DIMM Slot 5 - 512Mb
DIMM Slot 6 - 512Mb
DIMM Slot 7 - empty
DIMM Slot 8 - empty

(128Mb DIMM removed as this was the slot supposedly causing the Abend).

What I would like to know is:-
1. Have I got my current memory configuration correctly installed?
2. With this server, should the DIMMs be installed in pairs? Could the fact that Slot 2 was occupied by a single 128Mb DIMM be the cause of the Abend?

Hope you can help.
1 REPLY 1
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: Uncorrectable Memory Error + Correct DIMM config

Hello,
Your memory configuration seems alright but the error message you are getting could be a defective Module by itself. Please make sure the following:

Memory Configuration

Install SDRAM DIMMs in the proper sockets.
Use only 64-, 128-, 256-, or 512-MB SDRAM DIMMs.
SDRAM DIMMs must be 133-MHz registered (buffered).
Use only Compaq DIMMs. DIMMs from other sources are known to adversely affect data integrity.
Do not install DIMM modules supporting different speeds. All DIMMs installed must be the same speed.
Install SDRAM DIMMs in the following socket sequence for maximum performance:
DIMM 1
DIMM 5
DIMM 2
DIMM 6
DIMM 3
DIMM 7
DIMM 4
DIMM 8

Also run System Configuration by going into F10 System Partion. If you need further assistance please call our Tech Support at 1-800-OK-COMPAQ.

Regards,