cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexpected Shutting Down

APalmer
Occasional Advisor

Unexpected Shutting Down

A customer of mine has recently been having their server shutting down. This happens at random times. Daytime or evening when no-one is around.

I have ran "HP Insight Diagnostics Online Edition for Windows" but this shows the system to be running fine without any hardware faults. I thought at first the server was overheating but the room seems quite normal.
The server is on a UPS but I have since moved it to being just plugged into the wall to eliminate the UPS. I doubt it is the UPS though as the other server that hangs of the back of it is workign fine.
The only event recently I can find in "HP ProLiant Intergrated Management Log Viewer" is "POST Error: 1792-Drive Array Reports Valid Data Found in Array Accelerator" this was back on the 15/4/2008.

The server has an easy life with no real stress. 2GB RAM, Mirrored 72GB drive, two dual core Xeon's. Domain Controller, Two Shared Folders and does a backup every weeknight.

Since I am a remote engineer I cannot be onsite to see the status of the server when it has crashed. I am told that the first three LED's are on. I know the first one is power but the two below this I am unsure of. When the server is normally shutdown it just has an amber orange light on power. All other lights are off.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Andrew
4 REPLIES
UrsulaA
Advisor

Re: Unexpected Shutting Down

Hi Andrew!
What model server is this?
For your issue I would recommend to check the event logs to see if there is a software issue involved. If you do not find any type of event logs (other than the "Previous shutdown was unexpected" log). I would suspect power as the main cause. Sometimes it could be the power supply, unless you have more than one. In that case, i would think about the power backplane (depends on your model). What happens is that the server looses power suddenly and is unable to log anything anywhere so you will find the event logs and the IML clean.
APalmer
Occasional Advisor

This is an ML350 G5.
This is a single PSU server.
I eventually went to site on Friday and they left the server offline. When I came to it the second LED which is normally green was flashing red. Reading the user guide this suggests a critical fault. The LED's on the motherboard suggest the fault is the PPM2 for the second processor. After speaking with HP tech support we ended up removing the faulty item along with the 2nd CPU.
The server though rebooted itself twice since removing the faulty hardware. Before the server would shutdown and halt. The server now does a complete restart. At this point we swapped the CPU's around and also removed the extra two sticks of RAM. I had to leave at this point at the company was closing.
I have been trying to get on remotly to their network to check to see if the server is still rebooting but their VPN is failing (typical).

I will be back in on Tuesday morning to see if anything has changed.
UrsulaA
Advisor

Do you get a red LED with PPM1 and CPU1 in the second slots?
Did u leave the server working with the CPUs and PPMs swapped?
Have you checked the SMHP? Is anything degraded there?
It could be a fault systemboard.
APalmer
Occasional Advisor

PPM1 is hardwired onto the mobo. We tried all sorts. Eventually HP sent an engineer across. I don't exactly know what he did but when I spoke to him over the phone I tried to tell him the only option left to try changing is the motherboard and/or PSU. Although I donâ t think itâ s the PSU. He was agreeing with me anyway. For the amount of time (25 minutes) he had the server offline I would imagine he has changed the motherboard. Certainly since the HP event logger tool suggests the date was January 2008 when it last booted up.

It's been ok for 12 hrs but that doesn't mean much. Only time will tell I guess.