4025 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Unexpected server shutdown

surgeon1976
Occasional Advisor

Unexpected server shutdown

Hi.

My Proliant ML350 G5 shotdown periodically (1-3 times per week). After shotdown internal health led blinks red (other leds on front panel are green), on system board there are 2 amber leds: near r14 cr2 cpu2 and r361 cr16 marks.

In this state system health thru iLO detects as ?Unknown, standby mode, but trying to boot server from virtual power buttons results in nothing. Also, coolers and power are on.

I can reboot server by pressing and holding physical power button only to power server off and then by pressing power button one more time to power it on normally.

Also, I can't logon to HP System Management online diagnostic, because it says "Note: This version of the HP System Management Homepage uses host operating system authentication.", but I always have "login failed" with any of my system accounts with administrator rights.

Any ideas?

P.S. this thread has been moved from ProLiant Servers - Netservers to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL) - HP forums Moderator

9 REPLIES 9
surgeon1976
Occasional Advisor

Ok, problem with HP System Managment homepage login I've fixed.

Main problem remains.

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Get the ML350 G5 Maintenance and Service Guide here.

The system board LEDs are described on pages 78-80. Please use the names/numbers on those pages to describe the LEDs: the component ID codes you listed in the original post are only useful to someone who has an exact same system board model at his/her hands, or access to manufacturing-level documentation of the system board.

By your description, the amber LED near cpu2 might be any of the LEDs #5 - #8.

You should also see if the Integrated Management Log (IML) has any messages related to the shutdowns. See page 68 for a list of all the ways to access IML.

It might be as simple as the CPU fans getting old and occasionally failing to spin at the required RPM. But identifying the LEDs and possibly seeing the IML messages might offer some more clues...

MK
surgeon1976
Occasional Advisor

They are 2 (processor 1) and 5 (processor 2) leds. But slot for processor 2 (led 5) is empty...

Problem with virtual power button starts after lighting stroke, but UPS and server power supply has been survived. Before that virtual power button worked even server shutted down thru the power failures. Also virtual power button still works perfect when server in operating mode.

May it be problem with power supply?

IML Log has no records.

surgeon1976
Occasional Advisor

Can anybody help?

Internal health led blinks red.

Motherboard leds 2 and 5 are amber.

Server shutting down every 2-7 days.

Please!

surgeon1976
Occasional Advisor

I'd discovered that north and south bridges seems to overheat (75 degees C an even higher). And one small chip near (probably connected with power regulation) also has high temperature.

Need to replace motherboard?

meurs
Regular Visitor

we often have problems with this model. Always some capacitors(elco) on the motherboard are bad...

Lincy_Zachariah
Valued Contributor

Hi,

When the internal health LED on the front panel illuminates either amber or red, the server is experiencing a health event. Combinations of illuminated system LEDs and the internal health LED indicate system
status.

As informed by you:
Internal Health Led blink Red and on the Motherboard Led 2 and Led 5 are amber.

Issue could be with the Processor, Heatsink or the Processor slot itself

Thanks,

Lincy_Zachariah
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Refer to "System LEDs and internal health LED combinations" on page 79  of the guide to identify the failure.

Clicke here for - ML350 G5 Maintenance and Service Guide here.

Regards,

Jaqubi

My Proliant ML350 G5 shutdown. After shutdown internal health led blinks red, on system board there are 2 amber led’s: CR16 CPU1 and CR2 CPU2.

The server wont boot, but the there is a fan noise (black screen)

Can anybody help?