1748155 Members
3833 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unexpected shutdowns Proliant ML370 G5

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Okay, if you have more than one PSU then it might be worth while to try to run it on only one PSU/ cross swap / try a PSU from another server.
Anne Nutt
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for the advice I will try to get one to put in it. The server is on a APC UPS - do you think it could still shut down as quickly with this on it.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Yes definately. If it is a power issue then the issue might certainly reside in the UPS itself. Can be identified by connecting directly to the wall.
Anne Nutt
Occasional Advisor

Thank you I really appreciate the help, I will let you know how I get on.
Janet Erbach
Occasional Advisor

According to two independent network consultants I've talked to, the APC UPS units can be a problem with the HP ML350 and ML370...depending on the output of the UPS. We've been using one that outputs at 800 watts or so, and the ML370 draws 1400 or so. And when the UPS runs a self-check it will cause a server re-start every time. We ordered an APC 1500VA USB Ser RM2u (just arrived yesterday - not hooked up yet.) I'm told the 2200 is an even better choice for longer up-time until the server shutdown initiates.
Anne Nutt
Occasional Advisor

That is a wonderful clue for me to investigate. I hope this is the issue as I will be able to resolve it quickly. It has been like finding a needle in a haystack and the server is starting to show signs of the wear and tear of the constant unexpected shut downs - one hard drive has already crashed. Would you let me know how you get on and thanks for the information.
MikeR_4
Visitor

This sounds like almost exactly what I have been dealing with. I have some extra info for you to try. Please let me know what you find as I am trying to get my finding escaladed at HP.

My client has a new ML370G5 and an APC Smart-UPS 1000VA. I was told the same thing by APC about it being underpowered, but the normal output for our ML370G5 is under 300 watts. I did find that it must be a smart-UPS due to the modified sine wave problem. After replacing the power supply, power supply backplane and the UPS I was able to resolve this issue by disabling the ASR (Automatic Server Recover) in BIOS. We are also now running the latest firmware and all MS drivers from HP as of Friday July 3rd, but problem persists if ASR in enabled. I conducted my testing by pulling the UPS from power while sitting at the CMOS screen (I did this to prevent Windows corruption and to rule out driver issues). I found with ASR enabled the server would almost always reboot within three or four pulls from AC power. Once I disabled ASR I was pulled power over ten times without ever experiencing a reboot. I even tested in Windows. After all my testing I really believe the issue lies with the ILO2/ASR feature. Again, I would really like to hear what you all experience.
Janet Erbach
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for posting your testing methodology - I am going to try testing the new UPS (which I hooked up last Friday) in the same way you did yours and see what happens. I'll post my results when I've tested!
Janet Erbach
Occasional Advisor

I did a quick test of our new APC UPS last night - it's an APC Smart UPS 1500VA USB/SER RM2U. I pulled the power plug and waited 5 minutes - no server hiccups at all, so the sine wave et al that the new unit emits does, indeed, meet the needs of the ML370.
MikeR_4
Visitor

Janet, was your previous unit a smart-UPS 1000? I found my problem occurred when the power was pulled and placed back online several times somewhat quickly. This was the best simulation to emulate several brownouts. The problem I had was not holding the server up on battery, but rather the cut over form AC to battery. Extremely strange, but still would like to know what happens for you with the 1500 as my testing has been done with the Smart-UPS 1000.