1745971 Members
4509 Online
108724 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unexpected shutdowns Proliant ML370 G5

Janet Erbach
Occasional Advisor

Unexpected shutdowns Proliant ML370 G5

We bought out ML370 G5 in December and are running it under SBS 2008. The server has re-booted itself at least a dozen times since then, and the event logs show only "unexpected shutdown".

Yesterday it re-booted in the middle of the day while we were processing orders, and it re-booted again last night at some point. We're using an APC UPS - is it possible that the UPS is responsible? What else can I do to troubleshoot and resolve this?

32 REPLIES 32
Gary Benavides Meza
Trusted Contributor

Re: Unexpected shutdowns Proliant ML370 G5

When there are no error on the logs and the diagnostics test passed no issues detected. Most of the time that is realated to power, so it could the power backplane or the UPS. Try working with the server directly connected to outlet, without the UPS, if the server reboots again that might be the power backplane.
Johan Berqgvist

Did you solve this problem? I've got the exact same problem with our ML370 G5
Janet Erbach
Occasional Advisor

Our Network consultant is convinced that the shutdowns are related to the UPS we're using - an APC "Smart-UPS" Ac 1500 model. He researched it extensively, including repeated conversations with APC, and says that the UPS model we're using does NOT meet the power needs of the ML370. (Something related to the sign wave that the UPS produces not meeting the specs that the ML370 requires.)

We have not yet replaced the UPS. So even though our problem isn't 'solved' until we do, I'm 99% sure that our shutdown issues will disappear with the proper power supply. And since an earlier reply to my post suggested power-related issues, I would check into the same thing on your end!
Johan Berqgvist

Interesting... The server in question wasn't attached to any sort of UPS. We just bought a HP T1500 UPS to eliminate any power-related problems in our small server room and the problem was not solved by this.

Our old HP/compaq server does not have any problems. And it's standing right next to the new server.

Note: The server has been working fine for over a year before this started in late april.

Smells like hardware/PSU-problem to me. I'll try with a new PSU. I've got one i can borrow for a couple of weeks.
Anne Nutt
Occasional Advisor

Would you let us know what the solution was as I am now having the same problems with a ML350.
BenS
Advisor

Which event logs are you looking at? the Windows ones? or the HP Integrated event log? If you've configured the HP agents correctly on the server, the HP log should catch things like an ASR initiated shutdown, or other potential hardware related issues. It doesn't catch everything, but it's still worth checking (if you haven't done so)
Anne Nutt
Occasional Advisor

I have been working with HP and have logged 3 jobs with them trying to solve the servers issue. It shuts down randomly mostly at night and just a while ago it went 'ping' and died and wouldn't restart until I unplugged it for 20 minutes. There never appears to be anything in the logs hp or system as it is too quick to write to anything. HP have replaced the Motherboard and we have updated all the software to the max and for a little while it settled down a bit. But I think now it is getting worse. It is a 21/2 year Proliant ML350 running W2003 sever.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

How about power supplies? Have it/they been replaced too?
Anne Nutt
Occasional Advisor

No that hasn't been suggested.