1753530 Members
4643 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unexpected shutdowns Proliant ML370 G5

Janet Erbach
Occasional Advisor

Re: Unexpected shutdowns Proliant ML370 G5

The old unit was a Smart UPS SC1500. When it went into self-test mode, it would generate a re-start on the server. When power was pulled form that unit - the server shut off immediately. The battery support never kicked in at all...which is why I was satisfied for now that the new unit kept things up and running for at least 5 minutes. I plan on testing it more, but probably won't be able to get to that for another week or two since it means coming in after hours. :)
Johan Berqgvist

FYI.

My problem solved itself when i switched Powersupply. No reboot/shutdown in 2 weeks now.

regards
ChrisCJ

I am sitting on the phone at this very moment waiting for my HP Insight Diagnostics to run per the HP tech. I am working with this same exact problem on my ProLiant ML 310. We had this happen back in early May out of nowhere. This server was delivered in December of 2008. Well, back in May they pretty much gutted the server and it was fixed after 2-3 visits of part swaps. Here I am again today. Ironically I found the server down this AM and while tracing its power wire I found that the tech from May had not plugged it back into the APS RS 1500 we had for this server but rather the wall. I moved the plug back to the APS and powered it up and everything seemed fine. 6 hours later here I am on the phone with HP thinking this is hardware again. I am going to see what he says but think I'll follow the advice here of everyone. Disable the ASR and perhaps see if I can kill the self testing going on this APS.
Other thing of interest is a new light rail system is going live right outside our door here and they are testing in and out of the station right now all morning. Electric train and all. I wonder if there is some relation to this.
ChrisCJ

Sorry that is an APC Back-UPS RS 1500.
MikeR_4
Visitor

Chris, I do know that only a true Smart-UPS will work do to a modified sine wave problem.
Janet Erbach
Occasional Advisor

Just an update on our unexpected shutdowns. We bought and hooked up a new APC UPS - one with the proper sine wave for the ML370 G5. The new UPS has been in place for over a month now - and not one single unexpected shutdown in that time. I think we're cured.
Junnifer_1

Janet,

What exact model if UPS you bought for your ML370 G5 server. We are having same problem here in our ML370 G5. Each PSU is connected to different UPS APC 3000VA.
Janet Erbach
Occasional Advisor

We bought an APC Smart UPS 1500VA USB/SER RM2U. Here it is on the APC site:

http://www.apc.com/products/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm?base_sku=SUA1500RM2U

We have not had any spontaneous re-boots since we put it in place.

Janet

Junnifer_1

Thanks for the response & link.
Wayne Henegar
Frequent Advisor

Junnifer,

I have been following your questions as I have a similarly posted question on a thread about ML350 G6 shut downs. I have an APC SC1500 that does not support a power outage. I see that Janet has recommended a better APC unit that claims 'sine wave.' I was caution yesterday by a UPS expert that I should use a 'double conversion' type UPS so that it is always connected to (passing through) battery and not a millisecond switch over to battery as done by a 'line interactive' UPS. I have no actual results yet, but thought I would pass this on. I am researching Eaton Power Ware UPS.

Wayne