cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexplained ASR

Didier Wenger
Occasional Contributor

Unexplained ASR

Hi there, I'm troubleshooting a problem with an ASR that I received on a Proliant 5500R last night. The Compaq IML has reported an "ASR Detected By System ROM" message but it's neither related to a blue screen nor an NMI message like I used to have. I've tried to find some documentation on how exactly the ASR feature works on the HP servers but unfotunately I can't explain myself why the server rebooted at this time. It's time out setting is set at 10 mn but the server was still performing some i/o traffic on some log files less than 5 mn before the ASR decided to reboot the server. Do you have any explanation to this behavior ?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

D. Wenger
6 REPLIES

Re: Unexplained ASR

you can get the Troubleshooting Guide from ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/supportinformation/techpubs/maintenance_guides/

The specific guide I'm thinking of is 161759-007 there are several different language versions of this file and the filename will correspond to the language version US English would be 161759-007_rev7_us.pdf.

In Chapter 5 of this DOC "Error Recovery" it explains the ASR System and how it works. I had a problem once with an unexplained ASR and changing the timeout value has kept it from happening agian on this particular server.

Hope this helps.

Dave Palica
Advisor

It may be a thermal shutdown because the machine is running too hot.

- Dave -
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I doubt this is being caused by the thermal issue, unless you're getting errors about this in the IML and event log. Normally the reason you would get an ASR, but get no indication of what's causing it, is a lockup of the server (not a blue screen).

Have you brought the machine down to run diags?
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Didier Wenger
Occasional Contributor

Hi ! Thanks for your answers. In the "HP Servers Troubleshooting Guide" they only talk about the relation between the health agent that is supposed to reset the ASR time out counter but you don't get much details.

Didn't try the diags yet because we can only take the machine down on the weekends...too many things running on it during the week. About the temperature problem, yes it would have been logged along with the ASR message in the IML.

Thanks for your suggestions again, I'll try to explain this mystery !

D. Wenger
Eric_143
Occasional Visitor

This could be caused by a user mode exception that is hanging the server. The ASR is communication between the Systems Management driver and the system ROM. If there comes a point where the two cannot communicate, an Automatic Server Recovery event will happen to reboot the server. You might try disabling the ASR function and see if the server at some point just hangs and is unresponsive. If this is the case you can live debug the server once it hits the hung state.
Tom Patterson
Occasional Visitor

Eric replied that if the server is hung you can then do "live debug". What is meant by this and how do I do it?