ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753819 Members
9288 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion

Unfinishing Parity Initialization on smartarray P420/421, RAID 6 ADG after 2,5 weeks ?

Sander Reiding
Occasional Contributor

Unfinishing Parity Initialization on smartarray P420/421, RAID 6 ADG after 2,5 weeks ?

I'm running a Proliant DL380p Gen8 performance model with 2 smartarray controllers. Each controller is configured with 8 x 300GB drives (15K rpm) in a RAID 6 ADG configuration. The drives are used as a datastore for VMware 5.1 (HP Branded) with the latest updates.

The parity initialization is not yet finished on one of the controllers. They are runnig for 2,5 weeks now, is this Normal or is ther something wrong ?

At first only one controller started an the other stayed in a Queued state, proberly VMWare doesn't wrote to this disk so I created a partition with diskpart and it took off. Changed it again to vmware datastore.

I do have 2 servers with the same config running now and both are showing the same behavour so I don't think it's a hardware problem. ( 2 servers for a VSA cluster).

I use the hpacucli tool but there isn't any progress indication, is there a tool that can show how far it has progressed ?

Thanks,

Sander

2 REPLIES 2
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: Unfinishing Parity Initialization on smartarray P420/421, RAID 6 ADG after 2,5 weeks ?

Hi,

What is the firmware version of the controller?

See this post.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Sander Reiding
Occasional Contributor

Re: Unfinishing Parity Initialization on smartarray P420/421, RAID 6 ADG after 2,5 weeks ?

Al the firmware are the latest, for the controller it's version 3.54

The server buildin update progam suggests the latest is 3.42 maybe I should downgrade and try again ? can you give me an indication how long it should take ?

Edited : Wrong version number 3.56 -> 3.54