ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753778 Members
7900 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Unknown error setting up Proliant 3000

Richard Nason

Unknown error setting up Proliant 3000

I have a Proliant 3000R (E39) dual PII/333 with 512MB. It has a Smart2DH array controller with 7 x 9.1GB drives. Finally, a DLT-2000/XT is on the internal SCSI.
I am using SmartStart 5.40 to configure the system for Win2K Server.
All goes well until after selecting the OS and the F10 utilities are installed.
After a lengthy delay a message box appears with "SMRTSTRT" in the title bar and message "An unknown error occured while accessing". I click the OK button (as it's the only one available!) and the system just hangs there. I left it at least 14 hours overnight. After powering off and restarting Smartstart says, quite rightly, that the previous setup was interrupted and that I can only restart.
I *can* manually install the OS after this point but would like to know what the fault is so that I can use the guided installation to include the Compaq software etc.
3 REPLIES 3
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

Re: Unknown error setting up Proliant 3000

Start by doing a system erase. This will enable you to start from the begining again. Next, simplify the hardware configuration as much as possible for the install. You can start by uncabling the DLT drive. Next remove any extra PCI cards.

Then try again.

If it still fails, you can do the install from a Windows CD, then install the PSPs from Smart Start 7.10. If you don't have a copy, you can download it from: http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/smartstart/ss-agreement.html
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
Richard Nason

Further to the original message.
I have run the setup many times. With and without performing a system erase. I have removed all extraneous hardware, even to the extent of reducing the array to a single drive. There is nothing special about this system and I have successfully configured similar many times in the past.
It would be useful if the message indicated just what SmartStart is trying to access when the error occured.
Just wondered if anyone else has seen this problem.
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

Have you tried running diagnostics on the system?
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP