Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unrecoverable Media Errors Detected on Drives

Dominic Dupuis
Occasional Advisor

Unrecoverable Media Errors Detected on Drives

Bonjour,

On a "ProLiant DL380 G5" with a "Smart Array P800" I got this error each time I reboot the server (but everything work's fine with the server):

---
1716-Slot 3 Drive Array Controller - Unrecoverable Media Errors Detected on
Drives
...Errors will be fixed automatically when these sectors are overwritten. Backup and restore recommended.
Audible Beeps: None
Possible Cause: A media error was detected on a drive and could not be corrected because of degraded
fault tolerance or a media error at the same location on another drive in the same array. An
unrecoverable read error will be returned to the operating system when this block address is read.
Action: Backup and restore the data on the drive. Sequential write operations to the affected blocks
should resolve the media errors.
---

What should I do? Just wait? And the backup/restore solution mean what? Just do a NTFS backup/restore?

Thanks for any tips!
3 REPLIES
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: Unrecoverable Media Errors Detected on Drives

hi

try this

- shutdown your server
- remove controller
-- reseat cache and batteries for controller
- put the controller back in

and power on server

checkc this PDF
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00806102/c00806102.pdf

page 17 how to reseat parts for controllers

bye
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Skywlker
Occasional Visitor

Same Problem on P400 (DL180G5).
This:
"- shutdown your server
- remove controller
-- reseat cache and batteries for controller
- put the controller back in"

not help(
Phil Rance
Occasional Visitor

Hi
I have this same error on a netware box that originally had a failed p400 controller which has been replaced. after controller was replaced we were getting the unrecoverable media error and 2 disk's as imminent failure detected. we have now replaced both disk 1 at a time and let rebuild while in smart start. array is all fine now, 3 disks online and 1 hot spare but we are still getting this unrecoverable media error. We want to avoid backup, delete & recreate array and restore. please help