ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1754021 Members
7374 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Unresponsive DL360 G7, Health LED Blinking Red, 1 redundant Fan degraded, all other devices ar g

ja76

Unresponsive DL360 G7, Health LED Blinking Red, 1 redundant Fan degraded, all other devices ar green

Hi, i am new here and i hope someone can help me. 

I recently toke over a role and handled this server dl360 g7. It has 2 power supply all are ok. 1 degraded fan and others are all green. Installed with VMware esxi and and 3 vm installed. The server will operate for few hours (not consistent) sometime 3 to 4 hours sometime its last longer but less than 12 hours it became unresponsive. The health Led turns blinking red but the power remains green. I tried to pressed and hold the power button to shutdown but it wont, instead the health Led will turns amber for few seconds, fans will speed up a bit then turns to red again and nothing happen. The only way to turn it on is to unplug both power cord and plug it again. Once on, it will continue accessible but after few hours again the problem repeat.I was wondering if the degraded fan causes this instance? Or there is more something bigger problem. Appreciate any help. Thanks

1 REPLY 1
waaronb
Respected Contributor

Re: Unresponsive DL360 G7, Health LED Blinking Red, 1 redundant Fan degraded, all other devices ar g

The degraded fan might be causing an over-temperature issue in the server.  When that happens, by default the server will reset.

Somewhere in the BIOS (and I don't remember if it's present on the G7 and if you might need to use Ctrl-A to see advanced features) there's an option to allow the system to keep running even when there's a thermal overload.  Use with caution.

While the system is running, check the readings on the temps (through ILO or whatever else you have available) to see if any sensors are near their caution or shutdown thresholds.

And replace the failing fan. :)