ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751794 Members
4778 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Updating Firmware on Lights-out Fails...

SOLVED
Go to solution
mmiller_1
Advisor

Updating Firmware on Lights-out Fails...

Hi Folks;

I'm new to Compaq servers and just acquired a DL380 G2. It has a Lights Out card installed in it and it's running pretty old firmware plus it's the 40bit encryption.

I dowloaded the latest firmware and wanted to install it remotely. Unfortunately it seems like it can't be done beccause it spans two disks.

I then re-booted the server with the floppy in the drive and waited. It accessed the floppy for quite a while and then booted to the O/S anyway.

I then changed the BIOS setting to boot from floppy first and again it seemed to read the whole disk and then booted the O/S anyway :-)

How do I get the server to run the flash program OR, how do I get a two disk flash update to work through Light's out?

Thanks;
Marvin
14 REPLIES 14
The Spartan
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
Have you tried the online flash RoM option?

Raghav
If you are keen to win, you should be willing to lose.
mmiller_1
Advisor

HiRaghav;

Thanks for replying :-)

I tried downloading the On-line version and installing it and it comes up with a message saying,

"The software will not be installed on this system because the required hardware is not present in the system or the software/firmware doesn't apply to this system." That's from my trying to install it directly on the server through a Terminal Services session.

The Compaq Systems Diagnostics program shows the card as a RILO II and it is working but it's at firmware revision 2.41 (40 bit SSL). The latest seems to be 2.53a (128 bit SSL).

If I reboot the server with the 2.53a floppys it reads them and skips them and boots to the O/S. Even if I tell the server to boot floppy first the same thing happens.

I can't load the firmware through the HTTP RILOE interface because it spans 2 disks. It seems like I need a single firmware file from the 2.53a 128 bit release to do this.

I don't know what to do to get it to flash the firmware. Are there any tricks you can think of to make a single firmware file from the disks - or any other ideas?

Thanks!
Marvin

PS>The one I am trying to use (the latest) is located here;

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/20439.html

mmiller_1
Advisor

BTW, The firmware I am trying to send to the card is called firmware.brk and the error message I am seeing when I use the RILOEII web browser interface to send the firmware is;

"You must select the Remote Insight firmware image that you have previously expanded "

Is firmware.brk not expanded? Do I need to decompress it? I also updated the RILOEII driver to the latest for Win2k - version 3.4.0.0
The Spartan
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Suggestion -

1. Try and upgrade to version 2.52 A (10 Oct 03) and then to 2.53 A - ALL 40 BIT SSL.

2. If am not wrong, on certain cases u may need to upgrade in firmwares with regard to the sequence in which they are released.

3. After the aforesaid steps, try to upgrade to 128 bit SSl edition; however am circumspect if whether you can upgrade to 128 bit edition as the card you have is a 40 bit one.

Awaiting your response,
Raghav
mmiller_1
Advisor

Hi Raghav;

Thanks for your continued help!

I followed your advice and tried flashing it to the oldest 40 bit version with the floppy but they don't work.

What happens is that I put the first floppy in, re-boot the server and it reads the floppy for quite some time and then skips ahead to booting the O/S. This occurred with all version of the firmware I could find and all SSL Versions.

I can't seem to get it to flash using the RILOE web interface because the firmware's are spread across two floppys and not in a single file.

At this point I'm going to shut down the server, pull the card and verify that it's a RILOE II. That's what the HP Diagnostics say it is and it does work but I will take a picture of it too so I have the numbers.

Any other ideas? I'd really like to upgrade the firmware to the latest release.

Thanks Raghav!

Marvin
mmiller_1
Advisor

Hi Raghav;

I have some good news on the update front. I removed the card and while I had it out I rest all the DIP switches to off and then re-installed it. After that it worked!

I checked the card carefully before taking it out and it was fully seated and the switches were all off but for some reason (maybe it needed to be re-seated) it will now take the flash upgrade.

I have a new problem though. After flashing it - it won't let me log-in from a web browser. I tried all the usernames and passwords (including Administrator with a password of the last 4 digits) but it won't let me in.

I manually went into the card's configuration during bootup (with F8) and created a new account with Admin access - and I still can't log in.

I don't know what's going on anymore. I know the card works as I was using it before. We've cased the firmware upgrade issue but now I have a username/password issue.

Ughhhhh...... :-)

Thanks & Merry Christmas;
Marvin
The Spartan
Trusted Contributor

Hi Marvin,

What exactly is the firware that you have upgraded your Rilo card to - is it 2.53 A 40 bit SSL version.

Regards,
Raghav
mmiller_1
Advisor

Hi Raghav;

It's currently on the 128 bit version of the very latest available (2.53-128). I did try the 40 bit version of the same.

I don't know if I tried the previous version with the card re-seated though. I'll try the older ones you recommened too and post back with the results.

I'll start with the oldest 40 bit one on the site and work my way up :-)
mmiller_1
Advisor

Hi Raghav;;

I tried following your recommendation earlier about upgrading incrementally as the firmwares were released. This is what I found;

2.41 (40bit) - works fine
2.41b (40bit) - works fine
2.42a (40 bit) - works fine

2.51a (40 bit) - doens't work

There doesn't seem to be any firmware releases between 2.42a and 2.51a - regardless, the first firmware to stop working is 2.51a (40 bit) and I've already tried the newest ones without success.

What do I do now? How come I can't upgrade the firmwares to any of the newer releases?

Thanks!
Marvin