New Discussion юеВ

Updating Gen10 running ESXi, struggling with iSUT installation

SOLVED
Go to solution
Aktuator
Occasional Contributor

Updating Gen10 running ESXi, struggling with iSUT installation

Hi everyone,

I just installed my first Gen10 server, ProLiant ML350 with HPE Cutom Image ESXi 6.7, current version.

Then I tried to update the Firmware and Drivers by using the current version of HP SPP but some components like drivers failed because ISUT is not running on the ESXi.

Unfortunaltey I dont understand how to install the ISUT component on the ESXi. I have read several manuals about that but I just dont get it.

We are using the free ESXi version and therefore dont have vSphere etc. But maybe thats necessary to install ISUT? I am not sure though.

I am stuck at the point where drivers and software are successfully loaded to the iLO interface but then the components are pending and waiting for SUT or ISUT to finally trigger the installation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards

9 REPLIES 9
VPR1
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Updating Gen10 running ESXi, struggling with iSUT installation

Hi,

Thanks for your Query.

----------------

Please find below Guide for Smart Update Tools for VMware ESXi

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=a00018265en_us

This has got clear indication on below topics:

----------------------

-Downloading SUT

-Installing SUT

-SUT for ESXi installation requirements

-Configuring SUT for VMware ESXi

-Issuing SUT commands

---------------------------

Would request to follow the instruction provided in the guide and proceed accordingly.

Regards,

Vijaya

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo
MCSAP
Frequent Advisor

You did NOT answer the original question.  The topic is iSUT not SUT.  There is a distinct difference and the documentation/forums are really lacking for this topic.

Why can't HPE clearly outline the firmware update procedures for customers running ESXi 6.x on GEN10 servers utilizing HPE OneView?!?!?!

Craig Kramer
Advisor

I just went through this process. Did the Proliant Support Pack 2019-03. Unzip cp035738..zip, copy sut-esxi6.7-offline-bundle-2.4.0.0-31.zip to /tmp directory on the ESXi host. Then run the following command: esxcli software vib install -d /tmp/sut-esxi6.7-offline-bundle-2.4.0.0-31.zip then reboot. From SSH session run sut -status, you may have to supply iLO credentials. Run sut -set mode= AutoDeployReboot. After that it should install the drivers/firmware that are waiting to be deployed.

MCSAP
Frequent Advisor

Am I the only one who finds this to be ridiculous?  I have to touch every single server to install a VIB - Reboot - then touch it again to set the Mode?!?!  Not to mention that changing a Server Profile in OneView requires the server to be powered OFF!

A) why isn't iSUT part of the HPE OEM ISO?

B) why can't this be done via Update Manager?

C) How is this any simpler, streamlined, or less complicated than doing it manual or with SUM? 

islands
Frequent Visitor

@MCSAP wrote:

Am I the only one who finds this to be ridiculous?  I have to touch every single server to install a VIB - Reboot - then touch it again to set the Mode?!?!  Not to mention that changing a Server Profile in OneView requires the server to be powered OFF!

A) why isn't iSUT part of the HPE OEM ISO?

B) why can't this be done via Update Manager?

C) How is this any simpler, streamlined, or less complicated than doing it manual or with SUM? 

Good questions, it feels like it was a lot simple for previous gen servers and can't see any benefit of this new, much more complicated setup.  If iSUT is going to continue to be required it should be in the HPE ISOs and configured to AutoDeploy mode as default.

LaTechTech
Occasional Visitor

Thank you for this post!  Seriously, concise and to the point.  Just updated three new servers thanks to your help and psftp and putty.  The only thing was figuring out which offline link was right.  Here is the latest one.

* RECOMMENDED * HPE Utilities Offline Bundle for ESXi 6.7

The commands work perfectly:

esxcli software vib install -d /tmp/sut-esxi6.7-offline-bundle-2.5.0.0-75.zip

sut -set mode=AutoDeployReboot

sut -status

CdI_IS
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

A workaround for upgrading firmware without having to install any aditional software in the OS is:

* Reboot the server

* Don't start the Operating System by going to the BIOS menu (Press F9-System Utilities)

* Launch SPP, connecting to the server's ILO.

* As SPP doesn't detect the OS, it just uploads the firmware and installs it.

I find this method faster and less intrusive than the one designed by HPE.

upAndup448768
Frequent Advisor

sut is now included in HPE Customized ESXi Images starting in December 2019 (at least according to the "Content_of_HPE_ESXi_Release_Images.pdf" document).

sut still defaults to "ondemand" -- which I think is a good default.   If HPE picked a different default then there is a (small) risk of ESXi hosts rebooting "unexpectedly" when firmware is staged to them.

Additionally, there is a memory leak in sut if it is set to anything other then "ondemand", so keep that in mind if you change the default:

Advisory: Integrated Smart Update Tools (iSUT) - Memory Leak May Occur When Using VMware ESXi 6.x/7.x and iSUT 2.4.0 (or Later) - https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00102259en_us&docLocale=en_US

adam84
Visitor

Hy Everyone,

Where can i find iSUT update to VMWare ESXi 7.0.2?

The actual SPP 2021.05 not included, and i can't seen downloadable version on HPE sites...

BR,

Adam