Updating HBA BIOS, FW & Drivers

SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Updating HBA BIOS, FW & Drivers

Hi All,

Server:Proliant ML370 G2
HBA:LP8000 (Emulex)
Array Controller: HSG80 (ACS 8.6)
Secure Path: V3.1A (no updates installed)
Server boots off using local system disk, however the data partitions are on the HSG80 controllers.

As a pre-requisite for upgrading the ACS on the HSG 80 array controllers, we need to upgrade the HBA BIOS,FW and drivers on a production Windows 2000 host.

Queries:
1. Should we use Emulex or HP drivers for the HBA?
2. Any special pre-cautions while updating the HBA drivers like unplug the fibre channel cables, etc?
3. Would there be a need to run a KGPSA driver update utility after installing the Emulex/HP HBA driver?Apparently, this sets the driver parameters correctly and we have followed this procedure in the past as suggested by HP.
4. Would there be a need to run Fibre Channel Multi Bus Switch software after installing the HBA drivers? Apparently, this also has a contribution in setting up the driver parameters correctly.
5. Would the latest HBA drivers from HP/Emulex be supported by Secure Path V3.1A, considering how this is an old version of Secure Path.

Your reponses would be greatly appreciated and rewarded with points asap.

Regards,
Saket
1 REPLY 1
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Updating HBA BIOS, FW & Drivers

1) please use the HP drivers. I would say this is a good URL:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?pnameOID=327010&locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12169&prodSeriesId=327008&swEnvOID=181

2) I never heard about that.

3) I haven't done an update in a while, but I beleive the latest utilities can do both.

4) Sorry, I don't remember that one.

5) No, I don't think so. I am very sure that ACS requires a newer version of Secure Path as well.