1753416 Members
5119 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Updating the ILO Firmware

Steve_E
Occasional Contributor

Updating the ILO Firmware

I always loved the way Compaq/HP made their ILO's upgradable but I seem to have a problem with the DL160 G6. How do I update the firmware when I cannot access the server through the ILO and when I remote in and run the flat files, I get memory errors (the server too may need firmware updating). Im 1,000 miles from the server and no one there is allowed to touch it. 

Since I can log into the ILO, I could upgrade the firmware through the GUI, but Im not sure what IP address and path its asking for. I copied the firmware to the server.

Thanks. 

6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Old DL/ML1xx are different to other proliants, but this should work.

Running windows:

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=3884344&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D%257CswItem%253DMTX_17d7a8d74e4d49c59d23217706%257CswEnvOID%253D4064%257CitemLocale%253D%257CswLang%253D%257Cmode%253D%257Caction%253DdriverDocument&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vig...

Other online update versions are available.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The DL160 G6 has LO100 management, which is not the same as iLO. If you go to this link and select your OS, you can download an online version of the upgrade file. You could also select the cross operating system version which is used in offline mode and requires boot from a USB key.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?sp4ts.oid=3884344

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I was working very rarely with these LO100's, but I guess they are at DHCP and will get an address if you plug in a cable?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Steve_E
Occasional Contributor

I have another issue too...DL380s running iLO firmware 1.78. Tried to update to 2.15 bit it doesnt seem to do it. Do I need to update to older versions first?????

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Which generation of DL380?

The oldest generations (up to G4) may have the original iLO, for which the last released firmware version is 1.94.

The next version is iLO2, for which the firmware 2.15 is intended. It was used in DL380 G5 and G6.

The G7 servers have iLO3, whose current firmware seems to be 1.57 at the moment.

The latest Gen8 servers have iLO4, and its current firmware version seems to be 1.22.

Each iLOx increment indicates changes in iLO hardware, so you cannot update iLO(x) to iLO(x+1).

Each iLO hardware version will only accept firmware designed for it.

MK
Sbrown
Valued Contributor

you must step ilo firmwares if they are very old, they change the block layout and it will not update from first release to latest.

worst case download all firmwares and step through them. It will work. SPP will silently fail when it does not work and you may never know it is not upgrading ilo unless you check the version!

aka horrible SPP coding. same as broadcom nic's.