108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Upgarade ML350G6 to Xeon X5672

EmPi
Frequent Visitor

Upgarade ML350G6 to Xeon X5672

Hi

I´m about to upgrade an ML350 G6.

I would like to install a Xeon X5672 (3.2 Ghz), replacing a Xeon E5606 (2.13 Ghz)

Could anyone recommend, which modules of ram tu use to obtain 16GB.
No special configuration is necessary.

I´m willing to discard the 4GB module currently installed, should it be necessary.

Is it going to be necessary to change anything manually in the BIOS, to do all of this?

Thanx.

M.P

3 REPLIES 3
wanhao
Frequent Advisor

You can either purchase 3 more 4GB DDR3 PC3-10600R RAM or purchase 2 8GB DDR3 RAM, it's all depend on your budget.

Before you install new RAMs, I suggest you update BIOS to the latest version first, then follow HP ProLiant memory configuration tool  to do the proper operation!

You don't need to change any settings in the BIOS.

Med-H
Frequent Advisor

HI,

It depend on the Type of the memory Already installed on your server "Registered or Unbuffered".

Note : Do not mix Unbuffered memory (UDIMMs) with Registered memory (RDIMMs)

You can purchase 3 more 4GB  or 2 8GB DDR3 RAM. Please refere to the document below : 

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04286582.pdf?ver=65

Before you install new RAMs, I suggest you update BIOS to the latest version first, and then you can installe the new DIMMs.

There is no need to change any settings in the BIOS.

I am an HP employee
stevegolab
Advisor

Hello @EmPi

According to page 41 of the HP ProLiant ML350 Gen6 QuickSpecs, this unit supports 24GB, consisting of six (6) 4GB dual-rank PC3-10600 UDIMMs (1 CPU model) and 288GB, consisting of eighteen (18) 16GB dual-rank PC3L-10600 RDIMMs (2 CPU model).  I agree with wanhao, I also recommend looking at the HP ProLiant memory configurator, which is a web-based tool to assist populating memory in HP ProLiant servers.  If you'd like help getting more information or purchasing these items locally, I'm happy to be of assistance.

If you are still considering next steps, hope you will post your question today during HP Servers Expert Day - April 28th/29th. This is an event where Server Experts across HP join the HP Support Forums to answer all your questions. This event has been called the “Super Bowl” of expert assistance, providing you with a day of free access to HP internal and external technical experts.  

Simply go the Proliant board on the HP Enterprise Business Community and post your question between 7am EST April 28th thru 7am EST April 29th. Let me know so I can follow along. I can also get you in touch with an HP representative in your area who can go over your requirements and make some recommendations.