ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752794 Members
6150 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrad HDD for Proliant 350ML

John W. Cross

Upgrad HDD for Proliant 350ML

My Proliant ML350 is working OK, but I needs additional disk storage. It currently has only one SCSI drive (SCSI code '0').

I purchased an SCSI drive to use as an data drive (not to boot from), and I installed it. I used set the jumper to an unused SCSI code ('1'). However, the drive isn't recognized by the computer (at the initial black screen before Windows loads).

I have read one needs to change the "SCSI Bios" to get the drive recognized. How do I do that on the ML350? What else do I need to do to get the data disk working?
4 REPLIES 4
e4services
Honored Contributor

These are non-hotplug drives? Actually install inside the machine? If so, is there a terminator? Is the old drive on the end of the cable and the new on a middle plug?
Hot Swap Hard Drives
John W. Cross

In reply to your questions:

These are non-hotplug drives? Yes, conventional 68pin drives. The only drive until now was a 9.1 GB. The new one is an 18 GB.

Actually install inside the machine? Yes, in the SCSI drive cage.

If so, is there a terminator? Yes, I'm using hte cable that came with the machine. The ML350 is in the original condition, with no upgrades until now.

Is the old drive on the end of the cable and the new on a middle plug?

The old drive is actually the first on the chain, orienting as you move away from the SCSI controller. The terminator is at the very end. This is the way the cable is set up as it comes from the factory.
e4services
Honored Contributor

Well, sounds right. I was thinking the terminator but that all sounds good. Try a different SCSI ID. THats all I can think of. It should work.
One thing may be, the use of Single Ended Bus on the internal drives. I know HP did that to support SCSI Tape and CD drives. If that is the case, you would need to set the Force SE jumper on the drive. Check the existing drive for the jumper set, that should tell you
Hot Swap Hard Drives
John W. Cross

I solved the problem. The solution was trivial: the cable did not make full contact.