5261 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrade DL380 G5 processor

SOLVED
Go to solution
A Waugh

Upgrade DL380 G5 processor

I have 2 DL380 G5s that I would like to consider processor upgrades for from 5060 to 5345 or E5450. I have seen elsewhere that a motherboard upgrade maybe necessary and that some people have been able to say if this is so via the serial number. The two serial numbers are: -
CZC7103BRT and CZC71039Z0

Thanks in advance, Andrew
8 REPLIES 8
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Andrew,
As per:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12477_na/12477_na.html#Options

Both the processors you have mentioned are compatible, & does not require a system board replacement.
Make sure u update the BIOS firmware before adding the new processor.

:) Regards.
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor
Solution

Hi,

As per the serial numbers you are using Dual core server models and Dual core servers will not work with Quad core processors

According to me you would have to buy a Quad core system board (Spares Number 436526-001)

And Ofcourse , Make sure that the BIOS firmware is latest.

Regards
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Ah ! Thanks for correcting that Sanesh. As you know, I couldn't access the serial # details; You are a CHAMP !

;) Regards.
A Waugh

Thanks, exactly the information I wanted if not the answer I wanted. Is there any reason why it requires a new motherboard as the information that the DL380 G% is compatabile with a whole host of processors isn't exactly true if you need to change the motherboard.

Andrew
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for that!!

Quad-Core Processors do not work in Dual Core System Board (Dual Core ProLiant models) because Dual Core System Boards do not have chip set to support Quad Core processor.

you may get following message during POST if you install Quad Core processor in Dual Core Proliant models

805 - Unsupported Processor Detected
A Waugh

So do dual core processors work in the boards with the chipset which supports quadcore processors?
sanesh vig
Valued Contributor

theoritically it should work , however i have not tried it myself so i cant confirm weather it will work or not.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

yes

yes System board - Quad Core support - support s dual core processors. spare part number: 436526-001

so that SB is downward compatible

but System board Dual - Core Support - does not support quad core (of course)407749-001

I had an issue with that and we realized that SB quad core support dual cores with no issue at all.

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!