3310 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Upgrade Dual Processor PIII 550MHz

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Upgrade Dual Processor PIII 550MHz

Hi,

I just upgraded the server into dual processor. When I reboot the server, the BIOS found and recognized the second processor. However, when I log on into the Windows and check Task Manager, W2K only found one processor.

Below is the System Summary of the ProLiant Server 3000:

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
Version 5.0.2195 Service Pack 2 Build 2195
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name NS1
System Manufacturer Compaq
System Model ProLiant
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 7 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~550 Mhz
BIOS Version 05/28/99
Windows Directory C:\WINNT
Locale United States
Total Physical Memory 261,668 KB
Available Physical Memory 16,292 KB
Total Virtual Memory 1,287,980 KB
Available Virtual Memory 636,788 KB
Page File Space 1,026,312 KB

Any ideas and helps would be appreciated.

Thank you.
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Upgrade Dual Processor PIII 550MHz

Here is a reply I received from Compaq Support for my Proliant 3000 with dual PIII 500 processors. Mine was originally set as ?Full Table? and not ?Full Table? mapped. I changed it to ?Full Table? mapped an achieved the results at the lower half of this message.

Make sure the APIC mode is Full Table. If you don't know how to check it here's how.
Restart computer
Press F10
Press any key
Then you get (system configuration)
Press Ctrl+A (For advanced mode) OK
Choose system configuration
Choose configure hardware (Loading configuration files)
Choose Review or modify hardware settings
Choose step 3 View or edit details
Goto advanced features -
Pick APIC Mode - Press enter
Choose Full Table - Mapped
Save configuration and restart.

In the device manager at the computer branch whatever it states you use. Yours should have read MPS Uniprocessor PC. After a upgrade it will change to MPS Multiprocessor PC.

Next go into ?Task Manager? and look at the ?Performance? tab, the CPU usage screen should now be divided with a gray bar running down the middle for CPU?s 1 and 2. Unfortunately it does not display something like CPU 1, CPU 2.

You can also check by going to the ?Processes screen? in Task manager and right clicking on one of the processes. This should give you the option to set ?Affinity? (assigning that process to which processor you want performing that specific task), but before I would attempt to do this, ?assigning processor affinity,? I would do some research on using this as you can degrade you PC performance. This is not something to just experiment with unless you have an idea of what you are doing.

Pseudominded