108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrade Hard Drive Size

SOLVED
Go to solution
Richard W.
Advisor

Upgrade Hard Drive Size

Sorry, I am sure this has been asked a 1000 times, but could not find info anywhere

We have a DL380 G3 and two of the drives are mirror with two partitions (36 GB). We want to upgrade to larger drives. Can I pull one of the mirror drives hot install the new larger drive let it re-build the mirror (what a day or two) put in the 2nd drive let it re-build. Then I have heard to run Disk Part to increase the size of the partition? (with what switches) Then what do we do to increase the size of the first partition (Drive C) ? This logical drive is the "C" and "E" partition. The DL380 has a Raid control 5i with the ACU version 6.20.9.0

We are going to do a NTbackup first with system state.

thanks for all help and suggestions
3 REPLIES 3
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Richard W.
Advisor

Thanks after following that link to other links I found some great ideas. What I did (in a spare 380) was put the 36GB in the first slot and the 147's in the 2nd and 3rd slots set up the array for the 147's. Then I used ghost 2003 to copy and re-size the partitions. All seems well so far. I put the 147's in the production server which has the C and E drive a RAID 1 and 4 more drives as a RAID 5 (Drive F). When I rebooted the 5i controller showed no logical drives. I hit the F key for the ACU and it showed all the drives (the RAID 5 and the new 147's) But I was not sure if I could create the RAID there without data lose. So I aborted the process put the production machine back to original rebooted and went home. Will the ACU destroy data when I create the RAID? Did not see a rebuild option
thanks for any suggestions ! (sorry for the long post)
gregersenj
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hmmm. You might have a need for a little education on the smart array controller (sa)

Good thing you didn't destroy anything.

1. There's 2 utilities for configuring the sa. The ORCA, wich is the one you use, when you hit F8 during post.
The other, is the ACU, wich you use when the operating system is running (or boot on the smart start cd).
ORCA is quick, easy and simple.
For all the advanced stuff you'll need the ACU.

2. Arrays and LUN's.
When you create a RAID you are creating 2 things. An array (On other types of controllers they may use other names), and one or more LUN's.
An array is a number of physical disks, wich you want to use togther.
You must create at least 1 array, and you can create as many arrays, as you got physical disks.
A LUN is a logical disk, wich your os will see as a physical disk.
You must create at least 1 LUN and you can create multible LUN's on an array.
When you create a LUN, you also choose the RAID level (ei RAID 1).
You can create multible LUN's with different RAID levels, within an array.
Creating multible LUN's require the use of ACU.
Using orca (F8), you can create 1 LUN per array only.
Arrays is named by letters starting with A.
LUN's is numbered counting from 0.

A Smart Array controller, store the configuration on all the drives (Meta Data). So all drives hold a copy of the configuration and status of all arrays and LUN's, and the position of the physical disks.
Wich make it easy to replace a defective controller, defective disk or even move disks. A new controller will simply pickup the configuration from the disks.

I think You've got array A and array B on your server.
Then you remove array A, and create a new Array B.
Then you move the new array B, to the original sever, wich has got an array B, and it then ends up, not knowing what to do.

How to "grow" your disks?

Ensure you have got a good backup (Just in case)
If possible, you can also power down the server, and remove one of the disks, in a RAID 1. (Then you got an extra copy for roll back).
Repower the server with one diks only, in the RAID 1. Wait untill the sa has scanned the drives, and it will tell you that the RAID has got a missing member. Press F2 for interim recovery mode.
When the OS starts booting. Put in a new larger disk in the missing position. Wait for the new disk to rebuild. The power down remove the small disk, power up, wait, hit F2, and install the other large disk.
Wait for it to finish rebuild.

You now got to single copies of your old RAID 1 for rollback. Just remember in this case they must be put back in the original position, for them to work again.

If you can't or won't power down the server, simply hot swap the drives one by one. (You most likely havn't got a rollback)

When the rebuild has finished, you need to extend the LUN.
You extend the LUN using ACU.
Beware: if you have got mulitble LUN's on the array, you can extend the last LUN only. (That's a limitation on the smart array).

When you have finished the extension of the LUN's, you're ready for extending the partition.
You can use diskpart (Win2003 server) or tools like partition magic.
I prefer diskpart, but it can't extend the running boot disk (your C drive). You will need to boot on one of these boot tool CD's

Put in short:
1 - Backup
2 - Replace drives (1 by 1)
3 - Extend LUN
4 - Extend partition

Happy New Year
/jag

Accept or Kudo