1752778 Members
6049 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrade memory then blue screen

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Upgrade memory then blue screen

In April I tried to upgrade a Proliant PII400 (2 proc.) 256 MB (64+64+128) with a 256 MB dimm (#313616-B21). The system halted with blue screen during the boot. Compaq's vendor changed the dimm with the same type (unsuccessful) and then with a Kingstom dimm (successful). A few days ago I installed last Microsoft Security Update (rel. 7/26) and the system again halted with blue screen at the boot. I tried to restart without new 256 dimm (unsuccessful) then I tried without 128 dimm (successful). Now my Proliant works but with only 128 MB RAM (2 x 64 MB)!!! Compaq Italy said that is a sw problem but I don't think so. Any suggestion?
Max
2 REPLIES 2
Ron Amos
Valued Contributor

Re: Upgrade memory then blue screen

256 MB SDRAM Memory DIMM (1 x 256 MB) 313616-B21 -- Is the correct DIMM for your Server OK

Did you Clear NVRAM & Re-Configure via System Configuration Utility at "F10" Prompt -- See attached DOC for procedure on how to do this:

This procedure is necessary for every Hardware change for Operating System to utilize extra Memory for example.

Also a Blue Screen will result after appling Microsoft Security Patch if Compaq SCSI Drivers are not first upgraded with CP001095.EXE -- See Microsoft Q305228 -- Or get this Driver set at URL: http://www.compaq.com/support/files/server/us/download/10541.html

Note: If upgrading NTSSD or Compaq Support Paq at a later time -- remember to remove check for SCSI Drivers -- This new Driver will not be released by this method until Smart Satrt 5.3

Also if you need to Verify condition DIMM's and System Board Slots at a Hardware level, run Server Diagnostics logged to "DIAGLOG" -- If you need further assistance call (800) PKCOMPAQ OR (800) 652-6672 -- This DIAGLOG could be E-Mailed to with Case # in Subject if Compaq TSE needs it.

Hope this helps,
There are some people who live in a dream world
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Upgrade memory then blue screen

I also have similiar system, Proliant 1600 (400) with 256((64+64+128), I have tried upgrading to 768 total(256+256+256) BRAND NEW! It gets to the Blue screen of death and Displays " System halted, contact your system vendor for details.....or something close to this....I bought 6 sticks of this "SERVER" memory and 5 out of 6 were bad!!!! I called several Compaq techs and one said I had to change my BIOS settings, one said to try replacing them, and another didnt know. I am horrified that either:
Compaq is putting out crappy memory....
or Compaq tech support doesnt know what is going on.

Hope this helps