1748265 Members
3749 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrade my Proliant 3000

Theron Smith
Advisor

Upgrade my Proliant 3000

In place of the dual 333 mother board I have the board with dual P3 500 and VRMs. The issue I have is when installed the server powers up but no video and no display from the system monitor. It also ignores intrusion switch so IT will power on with the case open but thats all. What do I need to do or will this board not work with the chasis I have?
7 REPLIES 7
Theron Smith
Advisor

The board I am trying to use is P15080N25W7D6E 179779-001
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Theron,

I will assume your original chassis had a serial number with the following 4 characters as the middle set of 12 characters BRZ3, BRZ4, BX61 or BX62.

If so, the PSU, fans and almost everything else chasis wise were the same, so your "upgrade" should work. The memory however is completely different between models. The 333Mhz system board uses 60ns EDO and the 500Mhz using 100Mhz SDRAM.
I hope you are not trying to use the old memory daughter cards in the new M/B (I don't think they will fit anyway).

Check the memory configuration with the attached pdf file.

One known issue with certain revisions of the 179779-001 motherboard was a problem with the IMD LCD display unit at the front of the box. Try removing the cable on the system board to the IMD and see if it POST's OK.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Mark Morgan
Regular Advisor

Hello, Theron.

Have you cross referenced the part number? The 3000 run great when you max out the memory.

I had one with twin 450 cpus and 4 gigs of memory!

These systems are part number specific.

Good Luck.

Sincerely, Mark
Theron Smith
Advisor

I disconnected the LDC and placed only one pair of ram on the board. 1 per memory bank and all it does is power up. no post, no video, everything inside lights up but nothing outside.
BolivarTech

I have a proliant with a 450 in it with a VRM. If I were to add another 450 would I need another VRM? How would I know what to get if I do? Thanks, I hope this is on topic.
Theron Smith
Advisor

It is the wrong thread but I can answer your question. You will need another VRM and if you look on the existing VRM you will see the part number to the one you will need again for the second 450 CPU.
BolivarTech

Thanks for the info. I apologize for not posting it new, but I haven't had much luck with that. This seemed remotely related about hardware. At least now I have all the info I need to upgrade my Server and keep it around a few more years. Thanks again.