1753642 Members
4949 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrade

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Upgrade

Which are my processor upgrade options? Is there any upgrade kit for II 300 MHz?

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Upgrade

There are no processor upgrades for the 300Mhz processor to faster processors .
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Upgrade

Depending on the mainboard you may be able to swap the 300 for a 333 after setting the correct dip switches on the mainboard. An alternative is to purchase a newer mainboard from a Proliant 3000 server that originally used PIII processors upto 600MH. If you go this route, you will need the system board (there are several different part #'s), a processor(s)with a good heat sync or a low profile fan, and a compatible processor power module. You will also need different memory. The 300/333 uses edo/ecc dimms and the PIII's (500/550/600) use ecc 100MH registered dimms. I have performed one of these upgrades personnally and can verify it does work. It is not too difficult to perform, but you should have some hardware knowledge with the Proliant servers and be technically capable. You should be aware that Compaq does not lend support for this (I wonder if any of them even know this is very possible). I personnaly received absolutely no help from Compaq. Fortunately I have been working in the industry for quite awhile, and I have worked extensivly with the Prolaint platform. ....and yes, I am a Compaq ASE as well as A+, MCSE, MCP+I, and certified to work on hardware from Compaq, HP, IBM, Toshiba, Sony, NEC, Apple, Epson, Canon, QMS......etc.....