1753925 Members
9088 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgraded CPUs in ML350p Gen 8 now memory initialization error

JustinK101
Occasional Advisor

Upgraded CPUs in ML350p Gen 8 now memory initialization error

I upgraded the CPUs in my ProLiant ML350p Gen 8 tonight from a pair of Xeon E5-2609 @ 2.40GHz to Xeon E5-2640 @ 2.50GHz. Everything seems to have gone great except upon posting a warning about all memory not in use.

POST Error: 207-Memory initialization error on Processor 2 Socket 4. The operating system may not have access to all of the memory installed in the system.

I logged into iLo and navigated to System Information => Memory and see:

Screen Shot 2021-06-23 at 11.37.07 PM.png

So, maybe the DIMM came lose in processor 2, socket 4? I reseated the memory in the socket, but same error as above. I then swapped the DIMMs in processor 2 sockets 4 and 5 for sticks of memory in other random good sockets. Same error as above listing processor 2 slot 4 as bad and thus its pair processor 2 socket 5 also not in use.

I am starting to think maybe I need a firmware or BIOS update? Anything else I should be looking at?

11 REPLIES 11
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I would suggest you update the bios and firmware as well as swap the memory from in processor 2
sockets 4 and 5 to processor 1 sockets 4 and 5.
Monitor the server next 30 minutes.
Observe errors with the slots or DIMM.

Replace the parts accordingly.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

JustinK101
Occasional Advisor

@SanjeevGoyal thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay just getting time to devote to the ML 350P Gen 8 again.

How do I even upgrade the BIOS? I was under the impression that required a paid support subscription to upgrade BIOS and firmwares? I just looked and I am currrently running BIOS P72 05/21/2018.

I swapped the memory as you suggested:

processor 2 sockets 4 and 5 to processor 1 sockets 4 and 5

But the same issue, saying POST Error: 207-Memory initialization error on Processor 2 Socket 4.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

I would suggest, you have to log a proper case with HPE and share the appropriate logs for further analysis.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

JustinK101
Occasional Advisor

How am I supposed to log a proper case? I bought the server 2nd hand and don't have a support contract, thus also why I can't upgrade the BIOS.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

You can not download the bios because you don't HPE support contact.

You have to buy the HPE contract. 

Community forum having limited support.

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.

Accept or Kudo

JustinK101
Occasional Advisor

Unfortunately no, not helpful.

Can you at least tell me, or point me to the right direction where I can find out if the BIOS I am running is the latest version avaiulable? I am running P72 05/21/2018. Again, the server is a ML 350P Gen 8.

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

You can download it from the below link.

** CRITICAL ** Online ROM Flash Component for Windows - HP ProLiant ML350p Gen8 (P72) Servers

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_4ef9e4f1c4e246adb80bacc6e4#tab-history

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_4ef9e4f1c4e246adb80bacc6e4#tab-history

HPE ProLiant ML350p Gen8 Server

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/product/5195931/Product?cc=us&lang=en#t=DriversandSoftware&sort=relevancy&layout=table&numberOfResults=25&f:@kmswsoftwaretypekey=[swt8000012]

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.

Accept or Kudo

JustinK101
Occasional Advisor

And how do I flash if I have all Mac's? This is a windows .exe.

JustinK101
Occasional Advisor

So, if I try to apply this without a support license/contract what happens?

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/swd/detail?swItemId=MTX_9113d77eae184b4495b53a37fb#tab5