ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748242 Members
4430 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion

Upgrading 2012 R2 to Server 2016 using iLO...how to keep existing data partition

SOLVED
Go to solution
Orpheus123
Occasional Collector

Upgrading 2012 R2 to Server 2016 using iLO...how to keep existing data partition

Here's my situation:

I have a ProLiant DL160 Gen9 running Server 2012 r2 that I use for a file server.  The server is partitioned and has a Data partition where all my stuff is stored (D:Drive) and the OS is installed on the C:Drive.  I am unable to do an  in-place upgrade to Server 2016 (thanks Microsoft or HP...) so I will have to do the fresh install. 

Can I do that with Intelligent Provisioning (2.71)?  It seems when you do the manual configuration in IP, you can change the size of the partition, but it doesn't care about existing partitions, it seems it recognized the whole drive and does not recognize existing partitions.  I REALLY don't want to have to restore all the data on this thing if I don't have to.  I like IP because it installs all the drivers and stuff for everything, it's just a cleaner way to install the OS.

So...is there a way or do I have to bite the bullet, boot to the disk and do it the old fashioned way?  Thanks...

2 REPLIES 2
Vinod_R
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Upgrading 2012 R2 to Server 2016 using iLO...how to keep existing data partition

Hi Orpheus123,

If you install the OS with the help of latest Intelligent Provisioning (2.71) that time it will not detected the physical drives Data partition
with Intelligent Provisioning it will detect only physical & logical drives
If critical data is available in the drives then i would request you to install the OS manually without Intelligent Provisioning
once OS installation is done then run the latest HPE SPP in online mode, it will install the drivers,firmware's & health agents
for any further assistance in this issue, i would suggest you to log support case with HPE technical support team

Thanks & Regards,

Vinod Singh Rawat 

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Orpheus123
Occasional Collector

Re: Upgrading 2012 R2 to Server 2016 using iLO...how to keep existing data partition

Thank you so much, that's all I needed to know!  I will install the OS manually then, as the data on the other partition would take a LONG time to restore.  Thanks again.