ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Array Controller - Prevent Data Loss?

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Upgrading Array Controller - Prevent Data Loss?

I have a DL580 utilizing the integrated array controller. It is configured for RAID 5 with four ultra3 SCSI drives. OS is NT 4.0 sp6a. Can I upgrade Array controller to the SmartArray 5302/64 controller without any data loss? If so, what's the procedure/utility to use? thanks.
3 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Upgrading Array Controller - Prevent Data Loss?

Answered my own question. Took me a little while to figure it out. All went well. thanks.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Tell us what you did greg so we all know.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I tried following the instructions in the documentation that I found, but the server kept blue screening on me with an inaccessible boot device error. After several attempts I finally got it to work. First, I upgraded all Compaq drivers and ROMs including the system partition. Then I installed the new array controller(5302/64) into the server, leaving the integrated controller as the boot controller. Once the machine booted and I logged in, I went to the SCSI applet in control panel and loaded the appropriate driver for the new array controller from the Compaq CD that was provided. I then turned the server off and disconnected the SCSI cable from the integrated controller and went into System Config and made the new controller my boot controller. The machine booted, all my data was still there and no problems were encountered. Hope this helps.