cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Hard Drives on HP ProLiant DL360 G5 Server - Best Practice

amega1
Occasional Advisor

Upgrading Hard Drives on HP ProLiant DL360 G5 Server - Best Practice

We have an HP ProLiant DL360 G5 Server, running Windows Server 2008 Server 64 bit,  in which we want to upgrade the Hard Drives to larger capacity Drives.  There are currently 4 drives in the system. There are two 60 GB drives which are configured logically as the C: drive with 60 GB as the listed total capacity.  There are also two 146 GB drives which are configured logically as the E Drive with 146 GB as the listed total capacity.  We have two new HP 300 GB drives that we want to use replace the two 146 GB that make up the E: Drive.  Then we want to take those 146 GB drives and use those to replace the 60 GB drives that make up the C drive.  How do we this without losing any data as this is an active server and we don’t want to have to reinstall the OS?

4 REPLIES
derick_souza
Frequent Advisor

Re: Upgrading Hard Drives on HP ProLiant DL360 G5 Server - Best Practice

Hi,

In this case is not possible. You will have to reinstall windows. To increase the capacity of the disks.

Regards

amega1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Derick for the reply.

I'm runing RAID 1 and I have read that if I swap out one drive at a time, then wait for it to finish mirroring, and then do the other the same way, then all that would ned to be done at that point would be to expand the logical drive for the system to see the additional space.  What is the reason why this would not work?

Thanks!

Skotte
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Depending on the Controller installed, it is possible.

The P400(i) with BBWC allows the migration, expansion and extension of RAID arrays via the ACU.

There are other ways in which this can be done, like drive imaging if the controller does not support this method.

Cheers

Leon

amega1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for all the suggestions. Because half of our drives are SATA and the other half SAS, we are going to rebuild the server and re-install everything.