cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Memory for DL380 G4

abacabb
Occasional Contributor

Upgrading Memory for DL380 G4

I'm going to upgrade my single core processors to a Dual Core setup. Other than popping in the actual hardware, is there any special setting that I must set in order to properly perform the upgrade? Or is it just plug it in and it's good to go?
4 REPLIES
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrading Memory for DL380 G4

Hello,
you server is quite old and I am afraid you will not get upgrade parts from HP. We have newer server DL360g4p and it is unable to get upgrade directly from HP, memory could be bought, but CPU kit is a real pain.
Maybe could be easier just replace server with newer version... :(

Jan
Andrew Gladstone
Valued Contributor

There should be nothing you need to do to get the dual core CPU's to work. Just remember, the only dual core CPU's that were ever produced for this system are 399129-B21: DL380 G4 2.8GHz/2x2MB Cache 800MHz FSB CPU, and they only run on the following model system board: 404715-001 or 411028-001 (SCSI models) / 409106-001 or 411030-001 (SAS models). If you do not have that system board installed, you cannot make the upgrade.

Good luck!
Jim Huebner
Occasional Visitor

What are the chances of finding this thread the day I started looking to upgrade my G4. Thx for great info.
The motherboard #s provided are referenced from what source? R u an HP employee? Not trying to be doubtful, it's just that I got off the online chat with two HP support staff and they didn't to have a clue that you could upgrade a single core G4 to a dual core. I refered them to the Part # (web search) and the HP page illustrating the upgrade, but they had no way of verifying this info.
thx again for great info. I'm just wanting to double check before I spend the $.
Andrew Gladstone
Valued Contributor

Jim-
In response to your post:

The motherboard #s provided are referenced from what source? - This is based on hands on experience, as well as cross referencing on the HP Part Surfer site.

R u an HP employee? - No. I am a channel partner though.

Not trying to be doubtful, it's just that I got off the online chat with two HP support staff and they didn't to have a clue that you could upgrade a single core G4 to a dual core. I refered them to the Part # (web search) and the HP page illustrating the upgrade, but they had no way of verifying this info. - does not surprise me. Nothing beats hands on experience.

thx again for great info. I'm just wanting to double check before I spend the $. - Hey - Good Luck with your upgrades!