4949 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrading Proliant 3000 - Memory

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Stevens_4

Upgrading Proliant 3000 - Memory

I am wanting to upgrade my Proliant 3000 from 300MHz to dual 333MHz and am currently limited to 512Mb of RAM. After I upgrade the processors will I be able to increase the memory to 3Gb (as the Proliant 3000 6/333 allows) or will I need to upgrade the motherboard as well?

Thanks in advance.
3 REPLIES 3
Frank Kaufman
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrading Proliant 3000 - Memory

There are two versions of the Proliant 3000.

The first version had one processor and one VRM on a plug in circuit board. To add a second processor you needed to add one more of these processor boards. This version was limited to processors 333MHz or slower and had a lower maximum RAM capacity.

The newer version had a system board that included two Slot1 processor sockets and two VRM sockets. These boards could take processors up to 650MHz and could use more RAM.

If you have the newer system board, you can increase both processor speed and RAM. If you have the older version, you can not but you can upgrade the system board.

By the way, the two system boards use a different kind of RAM, you can not use the RAM from the older style system board in a newer style.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor
Solution

This won't require replacing the system board. The processor in this machine (6/300) is what limits the machine to 512 MB.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
herb_4
Advisor

the gen 1 board, with processor cards has a max of 512, gen 2 board processors plug directly into the board have a 4gb max

herb