9750 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrading Proliant DL360 G2 to Windows 2000

Simon Purdue
Frequent Advisor

Upgrading Proliant DL360 G2 to Windows 2000

Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade an NT PDC to Windows 2000 Server (on a test LAN). When I run the Win2k set-up from within NT it initially detects that the Gigabit NICs are incompatible (despite me already running the Win2k Primer Tool on the server). Continuing through the set-up, when the server reboots I get a blue screen: -

STOP 0x000000D1 (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Unlike a normal BSOD, I don't get a list of files in use and the one that caused the error.

Even trying to re-run the set-up by booting from CD and specifying the Smart Array 5i SCSI driver, the BSOD still appears.

I've been following the Compaq white paper, Upgrading to Microsoft Windows 2000 on Compaq x86 Servers and made sure that the server has the latest service pack (6a) and Support Pack (6.30a). I've modified the BIOS to Windows 2000 OS Selection and applied the latest P26, iLO and Smart Array BIOS updates.

Has anyone had this problem before?

The last test I did was to completly reinstall NT/SPs/Support Packs etc, made it a PDC, rerun the Win2k set-up and booted from CD. Unfortunately, there was not an option to upgrade, only overwrite the existing WINNT folder on the C: drive.

I did this and did not get a BSOD, but the set-up completely wiped the exisiting NT install and settings off.

Any help would be very much appreciated...
2 REPLIES 2
Ian Matthews_4
Advisor

remove the nics - perform the upgrade and re-install nics after upgrade
Simon Purdue
Frequent Advisor

Ian,

I've tried disabling the nics, no luck I'm afraid.

I have however managed to find a document "Windows 2000 Primer Does Not Disable CPQCISSE.SYS During Server Upgrade From Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 To Microsoft Windows 2000" (http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?source=EM020911_CW02.xml&dt=3) which seemed to correlate with my problem, except, the BSOD error is different. Following this document still produced the Blue Screen.

I've tried other scenarios such as providing the Win2k Smart Array driver during the DOS portion of the setup (press F6 to supply 3rd party SCSI drivers). This hasn't worked either.

It certainly seems to be a driver issue, but which one, god only knows.

So far, nothing else has worked and I'm rapidly heading towards a complete rebuild of the server on Win2k (i.e. recreate shares/permissions etc).

If you or anyone else has any other ideas, I'm all ears!

Thanks
Simon