1753534 Members
5064 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Upgrading Proliant ML370 integrated raid controller

Brian Roberson_1
Occasional Contributor

Upgrading Proliant ML370 integrated raid controller

We initially bought the integrated array chip for a ML370. We found the performance to be pitiful. We now have a Smart Array 4200. We run Windows 2003. We have 3 9 gig drives in a RAID 5 set. Has anyone successfully moved their array over from the integrated array chip to a Smart Array controller and got it to boot into Windows 2003? I understand that most RAID configuration is stored on the drives. Would appreciate any specific help here.. Thanks!!
4 REPLIES 4
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

Brian,
You are right, the array configuration is stored on the drives itself. You should be able to migrate the array controller. The two controllers use the same driver.
Recommended steps:

Put in the SA4300 controller in the server but do not connect the drives to it yet.
Run the SCU so that the server picks up the SA4300 controller.
Update the driver for the SA4300 controller
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17777.html
Reboot
Run the SCU change the SA4200 to be the boot controller.
Shut the server down and connect the drives from the integrated array controller to the SA4300 controller.

It├в s also recommend to update the firmwar
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Brian Roberson_1
Occasional Contributor

Vijay,

thanks for the quick response. Have you personally seen success with this recommendation?

brian
Vijay_44
Honored Contributor

I have moved from the integrated smart array controller to the SA5300 controller.
..always have a backup though.
ThereтАЩs your problem!!! This thing is set to EVIL!
Brian Roberson_1
Occasional Contributor

I'm worried about the blue screen -- boot accessible device error.. It seems it happens frequently when changing boot devices/drivers! But we may need to make this work for the client!

Brian