1748140 Members
3586 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Upgrading To windows 2000 Server

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Upgrading To windows 2000 Server

I have reviewed many of your white papers. In these papers I have read the "supported Upgrade paths" I am running Windows NT Server Enterprise Edition 4.0. I wish to upgrade to just Windows 2000 Server and not advanced server . Is that possible?

My final question. I have read on the internet about service pack 1. Many sources say that is is "useless" but I am concerned with the PCI Hot Plug issue. In the articles they advise installing SoftPaq 13158 to properly Implement the PCI hot plug with service pack 1. Does service pack 1 have to be installed to properly implement the PCI hot plug ability in Windows 2000 Server and if not can the softpaq be omitted and have PCI hot plug capability.
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Upgrading To windows 2000 Server

I'm sure you can "upgrade" to regular Win2K server, but that's actually a mixed bag (kind of a downgrade).

Before you get into it - you MUST run our Win2K Primer Utility to remove any incompatible Compaq utilities... Otherwise, you can have some trouble with the upgrade process.

Do install SP1 as it does fix a number of bugs, including improving PCI Hot-Plug. But also remember to install our Win2K SupportPaq as that contains the latest drivers.