1753529 Members
4975 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Upgrading a HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Server with HPE NVMe drives

Richard85
Occasional Advisor

Re: Upgrading a HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Server with HPE NVMe drives

We can't afford to create an array with these cards. What's the problem with the drives that we've purchased?

The other commenter mentioned that perhaps it could be the raid controller.

hunter86_bg
Frequent Advisor

Usually if you got latest firmware of the system and it won't detect the disks - either the controller (as these are SFF NVMEs) doesn't support them or the disks are Dead on Arrival (very low chance to happen).

I think it's more reasonable to talk with the Sales people and ask them if there is an option to swap the current NVMEs with NVMEs suitable for your systems.

Edit: What controller are you using ?

Cali
Honored Contributor

Even if the NVMe Drive looks like an SSD Drive, it is connected differently.

The NVMe is a PCIe bus device, the Drives connect by an NVMe Riser Card.

In Gen10 Server the NVMe Drive is connected directly to the PCIe bus, the Controller is unable to see because it did not pass the controller.

There is no possibility to build a Raid with the Raid Controller.

Tri-Mode Raid Kontroller, which supports NVMe, SSD, SAS are new and come with Gen10+ Server.

Look at HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 Server User Guide Page 99.

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
hunter86_bg
Frequent Advisor

So, in such case the thread owner needs Tri-Mode Raid Kontroller (if it's possible to work on Gen10) or to use as standalone disks (is that possible at all ?) and aggregate them in the OS via software-based raid.

Richard85
Occasional Advisor

Hi, since we already have a number of NVMe drives, we're going to try to get them recognised by purchasing adapters to the pci interface. We would like to go with a HPE solution/parts but perhaps that's not possible. Our system is a Gen 10 and not a Gen 10 plus.

Our purchased drives are for a raid (which from my understanding of the comments would need to be a software raid) and we can't afford to purchase several other NVMe drives for $7000 each in the hope they will work. We're an SME, so we don't have a lot of capital to throw around. We will try to make do with what we have.

I'll let you guys know if the adapters make the software raid possible

ledvan
Frequent Advisor

hi, any luck with this?