1753444 Members
5126 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Upgrading ml370 SCSI drives?

James Davie
Occasional Contributor

Upgrading ml370 SCSI drives?

I have a compaq ml370 with 3 18.2GB SCSI drives set at RAID 5. I recently acquired 3 72.8GB drive and wish to upgrade to them and keep RAID 5. What are the exact steps to doing this?
4 REPLIES 4
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrading ml370 SCSI drives?

Hello James,
Please make sure that the system bios as well the firmware of Array controller is uptodate. Backup...Backup...Backup :)
Now change one HDD at a time when it's built then replace the other. When all the hdds are replaced then you will have extra space with which you can create a second logical drive.

Regards,
James Davie
Occasional Contributor

But wouldn't this affect my OS since it is on the 18.2 drives?
e4services
Honored Contributor

In the process describe does not effect your existing configuration, you will end up with your original OS partition sizes and volumes, just the array's logical disk will appear larger. Nothing will be effected until you configure the added space with the array controller once all the drives have been replaced and the array has been allowed to be restriped inbetween each replacement.
You will end up with unconfigured free space once complete. One assumes you have the OS installed on the first partition of the array logical disk and then one or more other partitions. The free space can be added one of these partitions or a new partition can be created from the free space.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
James Davie
Occasional Contributor

So basically, while the computer is running I remove one 18.2 at a time and add a 72.8? Or I put each 72.8 in the last three slot and start removing the 18.2 one by one?