ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753962 Members
7391 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Upgrading the RAM and/or HDD space on an old Proliant ML350 G2 and/or DL380 G2 Server

DavidBrookes
Occasional Contributor

Upgrading the RAM and/or HDD space on an old Proliant ML350 G2 and/or DL380 G2 Server

I have been given two servers a Proliant ML350 G2 and Proliant DL380 G2 Server - I need to increase the RAM and storage space for both servers. Currently the ML350 G2 has 786MB RAM and 6 x 8GB and 1 x 70GB SCSI HDD running off the Ultra3 SCSI controller and the DL380 G2 has 1.5GB RAM and 1 x 8GB and 1 x 90GB SCSI HDD. Should I go IDE (can I go IDE as) as the new hard drives would be a lot cheaper than SCSI. The servers are going to be used as file and deployment servers for my home network.
1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrading the RAM and/or HDD space on an old Proliant ML350 G2 and/or DL380 G2 Server

Have you opened them up and looked inside?

The problem in going IDE would be that all those nice hot-plug disk slots plug directly into a common disk backplane, with the SCSI SCA connectors:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_Connector_Attachment

The disk backplane blocks the end of the slots completely, so there is no way to route IDE and power cables there without removing the disk backplane.

On the ML350 G2, you might install IDE hard disks into the media bays, but on the DL380 G2, the only place where disks can be

Even if you can remove the disk backplane without making start-up BIOS diagnostics freak out, you would then have to find a way to power your new IDE disks.

In a DL380 G2, there are no loose HDD power cables with the usual Molex connectors. In a ML350 G2, it is conceivable that a conversation *might* be possible. (Disclaimer: it's been a very long time since I looked inside a ML350 G2.)

At least in the DL380 G2, the integrated IDE controller is intended for the CD-ROM/DVD drive only; the BIOS might not support a hard disk connected to it. So you might need an extra IDE/SATA controller on a PCI card.

The memory upgrade has its own complication too: these servers will want ECC (error-correcting) memory.

MK
MK