1752801 Members
5523 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ups Configuration + Server turn on

winprod

Ups Configuration + Server turn on

Hi Techies,

I have some DL 360 g3, DL 360 g4P, DL 380 g3,ML 570 G2.
I recently installed a central Apc Ups on all the systems, about 20 of them; the software was also successfully installed, to turn off the servers.
When there is a power failure the servers automatically shutdown in a 'it is now safe to turn off the system" state (this is how it is suppose to be), and after the ups turns off the systems go out. When line power returns some off the systems turn on automatically and others donтАЩt, I checked the bios for auto power on, but it isnтАЩt in all of them, I found it in the dl 360 g4p but not in the others. Can I configure the system to turn on automatically when line voltage is detected or to turn on in the last state?
4 REPLIES 4
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: Ups Configuration + Server turn on

Hi,

If your servers are running Server 2003 your problem may be related to a Microsoft setting which can be fixed.

Please see the following:-

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EM030723_CW01

This applies to all UPS models, not just HP.
Download SP27670 from the link and follow the procedure in the link to fix it.

I hope this helps.

Brian

winprod

Brian

Thanx for the reply.

The issue was also adressed in windows service pack 1, the servers don't power off, they go in a "it is now safe to turn off the computer" state. Sorry for not saying but i have windows 2000 and windows 2003 servers.
the problem i am having is that the systems don't turn on again when line power returns.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

This should only happen on "Non-ACPI" compliant systems. ACPI compliant systems should power down and shut off for example when the front panel button is pressed once.

Check the systems as follows:-

Go into device manager
Expand the entry under "Computer"
See what kind of HAL is loaded.
It should be ACPI Uniprocessor or ACPI Multiprocessor PC for modern Proliants.

It might also be worth checking the O/S selection in the BIOS of the systems affected. Press F9 at POST and select "System Options" then "O/S Selection" if available in the BIOS.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Chris Saindon
Valued Contributor

Hello Winprod,

Here is some additional info that may help:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;819760

and here is the fix from by HP for proliant servers:

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp25501-26000/SP25746.exe

Hope this helps

Regards,