Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Urgent: GL380, BIOS config for Win7 Kernel Debug

beerwatson
Occasional Visitor

Urgent: GL380, BIOS config for Win7 Kernel Debug

Hello,

After consultation with MS they showed us how to do kernel debug on my laptop. Setting Up Kernel-Mode Debugging over a Serial Cable Manually. and msconfig screenshot:

and the backside of machine is

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/wgcAAOSwEeFVFFML/s-l1600.jpg

in which we could see serial port.

Qeustion:

1) in BIOS setting, there are COM1, COM2, COM3 with different IRQ. And in System Options>>Serial, there are "embedded serial port" and "virtual serial port". I am confused. Please explain the difference.

2) In Windows, the way the OS assigns COM port number is undocumented. I use FT2232 chip based USB-serial converter, and Win7 can either assign them COM3, COM4 or higher number, in which COM3 overlaps "COM3" in BIOS. Could HP help to clarify the overlap?

3) case 2) is for using win7 machine as debugging host. However, if we want to debug the machine itself (DL380 G7), we remove FT2232 cables to minimize chances of conflict. But although (as in screenshot) configured msconfig to enable debugging upon boot, we don't know how to set DL380 G7 BIOS to accept connection. PLease give us definitive instruction on it.

Thanks and please prioritize it as an urgent support case.

bill

1 REPLY
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: Urgent: GL380, BIOS config for Win7 Kernel Debug

@beerwatsonwrote:

Hello,

1) in BIOS setting, there are COM1, COM2, COM3 with different IRQ. And in System Options>>Serial, there are "embedded serial port" and "virtual serial port". I am confused. Please explain the difference.

iLO is conected to the virtual serial port which usually defaults to COM2. Connect your debug cable to COM1 and use the serial port on the back of the server

@beerwatsonwrote:

Hello,

Thanks and please prioritize it as an urgent support case.

bill

These forums are user supported, if you need urgent support you need to open an official case with HPE

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!