5419 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Urgent Pls "Smart Array 642 with Raid5 shows 2 dead drives"

rogerpatel
Advisor

Urgent Pls "Smart Array 642 with Raid5 shows 2 dead drives"

Hi someone please help me.

I have a ML350g3 with a Smart Array 642 and raid 5 (6 drives in total, id 6 marked as hotspare)

This afternoon the server crashed and now when ever it boots up it displays id 0 and 1 as dead. I worked with servers for many years and never seen two drives die in 1 go. The server now cant boot as its show 2 dead drives.

Can anyone here point me in any direction.

I have tried re-seating everything, i have also tried replacing the 642 as i have a spare but now joy.

Usually we have a backup but the in house IT chap has been on holiday for 2 weeks and no one has bothered inserting tapes so out last backup was two weeks ago which is it not very good as its the companies primary data server.

Look foward to your responses.

Thanks

Roger
1 REPLY 1
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

Re: Urgent Pls "Smart Array 642 with Raid5 shows 2 dead drives"

Hi,

If the online spare didn't rebuild on time the data is gone, most likely it was a timeout on both HDD's cause by the backplane and/or scsi cables, to confirm you can run an ADU from smart start and attach it to this thread.
as you mentioned, no back up is avaliable (new one) so if you need to recover data you can call drive savers 800-440 1904 and they can help you to recover the data

regards,