4320 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Urgent help about Compaq Proliant 400 Server

Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Urgent help about Compaq Proliant 400 Server

Hi All,

I have this server (PIII) for which I did ROMPaq upgrade to 4.06A. Now the server is not booting, giving error 1611: CPU Fan not detected causing the halt of the system.
In fact this server doesn't have any CPU Fan.
It it not going into Configuration utility or booting from floopy or drive.
I want to revert back the current F01 with the old one. Is anybody here know how to do this???

I came to know that there is some switch settings need to be done ( may be in PCI server feature card ) so that one can boot from ROMPaq disk and revert the firmware.
Can anyone tell me these settings?

Secondaly , once this is done I want to install Windows 2000 server into this server.
Do I need to use SmartStart CD ? If yes, which version of SmartStart CD should be used??

5 REPLIES 5
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Sameer:
Have you already tried to update the bios again ( http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/7555.html ) Yes... again but with a "new" diskette.

If you have tried again and the diskette install still does not apply, then do the following:

Power off the server and open the server up.

1. Set configuration switches 1, 4, 5, and 6 on the system maintenance switch block to ON to enable disaster mode.
2. Insert the new bios diskette in the floppy.
3. Power on the server. The keyboard, mouse and monitor are all inactive. The IMD will be active if your server has one.
4. The server will make 2 long beeps, to indicate that it is in Disaster Recovery Mode, and should insert the ROMPaq diskette. The IMD, if your server has one, will display "Please insert ROMPaq diskette."
5. The server reads the diskette for the latest ROM image.
Note: If the diskette is not in place, the system continues to beep until a valid ROMPaq diskette is inserted.
6. The ROMPaq diskette will flash the system ROM.
During this process, the IMD displays: "ROMPaq flashing system ROM."
7. At the successful completion of this process, the IMD will display: "ROMPaq flash successful - Cycle Power."
Or;
If the flash is not successful, the IMD will display: "ROMPaq flash failed."

If the flash is successful, then the server will issue a series of beeps in an ascending order.

8. After successful completion of this process;
a. Power down the server
b. Reset configuration switches 1, 4, 5 and 6
c. Power up the server as usual.

Hope this gets you back to running! Let us know if you don't get the bios re-flashed?

Once you have the server runing, you will want to use SmartStart 5.50 to configure the box. Here is a link to all the Windows 2000 drivers you may need for this server:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/20_1132.html

-john
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

I do appretiate your early reply and thanks.
I have one doubt..

I guess, the switch no 3 on the PCI board select the server type either ( Proliant 400 or Prosignia 720 ) . When I upgrade the firmware it was off ( Prosignia 720 server type ) as I was not aware of this before.This could be the reason for error 1611. I don't know the h/w difference bewteen these two servers.

As per my understanding, ROMpaq utility would copy the earlier version of firmware back to the floppy before flashing the new version.Is it right?

If it is, then if I change an attribute in config.sys file of the ROMPaq utility, it should flash the old firmware.

I don't have IMD with the server

Pls advise.
Thanks & Regards,
Sameer

JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Yes, but there can be "issues" with downgrading the bios in these servers.

On SW1 pin 3, switch 3 sets the server for rackmount configuration. If it is on, then the server thinks it is on its side. This configuration does affect the fans.

Alternatively, if you do not want to re-flash the bios, you could just "clear NVRAM" ( http://h200001.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_388535-001_ch04/TPM_388535-001_ch04.pdf#page=8 ) and then re-save a System Config with the System Configuration Utility.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Hi Martin,

I tried with the switch setting,but it didn't work.

Somehow I got the CPU fan and now I could able to go ahead and do OS installation. I tried to install windows 2000 server edition on it,but couldn't succeed because the display went off during installation. We installed the OS with add on display card and finished the OS installation . But if we switched over to system board video it is not working. I am doubting the PCI feature card indicating a red LED . What does it indicate? What about other two LEDs ( orange and green )
Similarly the ethernet port is also not getting detected in the OS

Pls revert back soon....

Regards
Sameer
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Sorry John,

The last message was directed to you not Martin.. Oops!!!!