ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752796 Members
5504 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Urgent ! how to manually install windows 2003 server in ML310 G5?

hndcb
Occasional Advisor

Urgent ! how to manually install windows 2003 server in ML310 G5?

I just enabled embedded SATA RAID 1 in ML310 G5's bios and my windows 2003 can't boot. It seems that I need to manually install windows 2003 again.

My G5 has no floppy diskette driver , and my original windows 2003 server CD is not bootable.....is there anybody can tell me how to boot the G5 with supporting SATA CD-ROM so that I can install Windows 2003?
12 REPLIES 12
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

so you have installed windows without RAID, then enabled RAID and there is BSOD when booting windows?

did you installed the controller driver :

"Once OS is installed, Extract the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers to a folder. HP Embedded SATA RAID Controller Driver for Windows 2000/Windows Server 2003

Go to Control Panel-> Add New Hardware->Device is connected->New Hardware->Raid Controller->Have Disk->Browse to the folder where the Embedded SATA RAID Drivers were extracted. Select the .inf file->Install Adaptec Raid Driver.

Restart the Server go to BIOS enable the Embedded SATA RAID.

Press F8 and go to Sata Raid BIOS->Configure the Drives->Create Array->Raid 0/1 A warning message will appear "Warning: Configuring the drives will erase all Array information from the selected drives, if that drive is part of an array. Arrays using any of these drives as members will be affected! Do you want to continue?(Yes/No):". Press "Y" to continue.

If Raid 1 is selected it will ask you what is the Source Disk, select the Right Disk in which OS was installed previously. Warning message might appear again. Select "Y".

Rebuild will take sometime, once rebuild is complete restart the server.

Once rebooted Raid would be detected and windows would boot up, in windows it would detect new hardware and Adaptec Raid drivers will be installed. Now Server is built migrated to Raid Successfully."

If you must install OS new, maybe you can use www.nliteos.com and add the driver to the image.
hndcb
Occasional Advisor

Thanks !

I did followed this method , yet when windows booted after POST, it just turned to reboot very quickly again and again. It doesn't work.

Here is the SATA RAID driver I used:(I think it should be the right one )

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3580655&prodNameId=3580656&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-1af9deb2dde346e78892d0e1b4

And here is what in the ML310 G5 user guide:

To install an OS, download the HP embedded SATA RAID Controller driver and create a driver diskette with the software and instructions from the HP website (http://www.hp.com/support).
SmartStart does not support assisted installation of an OS on servers configured with SATA RAID.

But you can't find any instructions in the SATA RAID Controller driver package .

Now I get the bootable Windows 2003 CD ..... but the problem is: no diskette, you have no way to intall the RAID driver when press F6 . Bootable USB drive ? I don't know how to setup a bootable USB drive to support SATA CD-ROM ......any idea ?

I never use nliteos... I'll try ....but do you have any idea how to add the driver to the image ?
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the driver you use is ok, there is other version :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3580655&prodNameId=3580656&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-0dbf82cb9fd24c929b6bdb4da7&mode=3

here is an nlite guide :

http://nliteos.com/guide/part1.html

follow the instructions and add the driver to your installation files and then boot.
You will don't need to supply driver with F6 then...

hndcb
Occasional Advisor

I used nLite to add SATA RAID driver to the windows 2003 R2 CD, burn a new one , restart computer , when windows setup was running (didn't press F6) and loading files , it suddently terminated with an exception message : STOP: 0x0000007B .

I am still at the beginning ....
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

about using USB key instead of floppy :

Administrators performing a Microsoft├В┬о Windows Server├в ┬в 2003 OS installation can use a USB drive key instead of a conventional driver diskette. This method eliminates the need for a local diskette and
does not interrupt the OS installation process. Also, the USB drive key eliminates the need for the administrator to press the F6 key during a Windows Server├в ┬в 2003 installation.
To create a Windows Server├в ┬в 2003 driver diskette image on a USB key:
1. Download the HP Drive Key Boot Utility from the HP website

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=MTX-UNITY-I23839тМй=en&cc=us&mode=5&

2. Using the HP Drive Key Utility, replicate a previously-created Windows Server├в ┬в 2003 driver diskette
with the necessary drivers.
a. Select Create New or Replace Existing Configuration.
b. Select Floppy Disk option.
c. Select the Image from drive option. This image is from the previously-created driver diskette
containing the necessary drivers to be placed on the USB key.
3. Insert the USB drive key into any server USB connector and a Windows Server├в ┬в 2003 installation
CD into the CD-ROM drive.
4. Power up the server (on page 17).
5. Boot the CD-ROM and begin the OS installation.
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

begin new install:

enable RAID in bios.
create an array & logical drive.
then perform the nlite install or try the usb drive key...

hndcb
Occasional Advisor

Pac, Thanks for your time !

But how can I get(or create) the Windows Server 2003 driver diskette image including SATA RAID driver ?
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

just download nlite and follow the instructions

http://nliteos.com/guide/part1.html

check attached screenshot
Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor

Why not just use the SmartStart CD to load Server 2003?

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3580655&prodNameId=3580656&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-a0cacdec34c24b288772ed3d88

Download it there. It'll prompt you for all the information. You just go to "Deploy Server" and then follow the prompts.