ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753797 Members
7300 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Urgent ! how to manually install windows 2003 server in ML310 G5?

hndcb
Occasional Advisor

Re: Urgent ! how to manually install windows 2003 server in ML310 G5?

to Pac:

Thanks ! I'll try nLite again....

to Graeme Bray :

here is the message from ML310 G5 user guide:

SmartStart does not support assisted installation of an OS on servers configured with SATA RAID.

Well , I did try to disable Embedded SATA RAID -> use SmartStart (infact , it is not smart ) to deploy Windows 2003 -> intall SATA RAID driver -> reboot -> enable Embedded SATA RAID -> setup RAID -> reboot , when Windows booted, it just turned to reboot again and again very quickly after POST.

That's why I have to try other ways ......

Later , I found a floppy drive finally, connected it to the server , press F6 , and get this message:" File \aarahci.sys caused an unexpected error(4096) at line ......." . and the HP supporter said I need to use an HP brand floppy drive even the software is correct :-(

I am still waiting for further message(via email) from the HP guy . Good luck to me.
hndcb
Occasional Advisor

Well, I did install windows server 2003 finally.

I still used floppy disk , Press F6, although it gave the error message while installing the SATA RAID driver , it seemed everything ok later . strange .......(not-HP-brand floppy drive still works)

Thank you Pac !

The HP guy gave me an email instructing how to use nLite to setup a bootable USB drive , exactly same to what Pac gave . Yet I didn't use it.

Because floppy is very inconvenient , I think I still need to try the bootable USB method later.
hndcb
Occasional Advisor

The experience give me some strange message. Compare these two courses:

1. use floppy disk to install RAID driver after Press F6:

Windows setup program gave an error message while installing the SATA RAID driver, after pressing any key , it continued installing OS sucessfully....

2. Burn a new CD of Windows 2003 Server using nLite to include RAID driver, then use this CD to install Windows:

Windows setup program terminated while preparing to install windows, and then quit...

I used the same RAID driver which downloaded from hp.com in these two courses, and the same windows 2003 server CD. Maybe nLite is not so perfect ? or maybe the problem comes from windows.....