1752415 Members
6446 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Userenv 1054 events every 5 minutes on ML115

Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

Userenv 1054 events every 5 minutes on ML115

I have two servers on different sites, both identical hardware and both running SBS 2003 Standard R2. Every 5 minutes they report the above error.

It is unlikely to be a configuration issue as I have numerous other sites, although not with ML115s, running SBS without any issues.

DNS is working fine and I am not seeing any issues (Group Policy or otherwise) on client PCs.

One clue is that when I ping the server itself from it's own console, I get mostly negative ping times. Often issuing a new ping command with return negative results immediately.

My thoughts are that it is a timing issue either with the Opteron or the NIC which is a HP NC320i PCIe Gigabit Server Adapter.

I've done all the usual diagnostics (netdiag etc).

I think this is server model specific. Anyone got any ideas on where to go from here?
8 REPLIES 8
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

Thanks for these links. I have been through the Google process already. As I said DNS is fine.

It is nothing obvious. I had been through your second link already and it does look like Allan Williams has (or had) an identical problem except I only have SBS Standard.

Alas none of the threads offer any solution.

The most strange thing is the way that pings are retuning negative round trip times. I have no doubt that whatever is causing this is the root cause of the problem.

And it is only happening on ML115s.
CarlR
Advisor

We are experiencing the same issues with all of our brand new DL 385 G2s running AMD Operton processors and NC373i GB NICs. From what I have seen, it looks to be some sort of driver issue related to the Opterons. I am running the latest Support Pack with the latest firmware and still seeing the issue. Looks like a call to HP support is in order.

If I find a solution, I will post it here.
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

this is a known issue with the amdk8.sys AMD driver.

The right driver is embedded in Windows 2003 SP2, but is not always installed?!?

Updating the driver from :

http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9033,00.html

will resolve the issue with the negative ping times. Although it is written win2003 SP1 it works on SP2...

Regards,
Pac
CarlR
Advisor

I have installed the latest AMD Opteron driver from AMD's website and it has eliminated the negative ping times. It may also solve some curious VMWare issues with virtual machines not being able to keep correct clock times (I will test this and report back later).

Unfortunately, it has not eliminated the 1054 errors in the event logs. All 9 of my DL385 G2s are spitting out this error every 5 minutes and it is quite troubling. I called HP tech support and they were unable to assist so I guess we are on our own with this one.
Doug Flint
Advisor

Was this every resolved for you. I have the same issue.
CarlR
Advisor

Yes, I updated the driver, installed all MS updates and the errors were all resolved.
Doug Flint
Advisor

Updating the AMD driver fixed this for me as well. Thanks!