1753876 Members
7498 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Using DL 380 G6 as a file server

m.amir

Using DL 380 G6 as a file server

Hi every one
I want to have a strong file server for our company. So i want to use a DL 380 G6 with 8 GB RAM and raid controller p410 512 MB. I want to use 8 HDD SAS 146 15K for having faster transfer rate and i want to use raid 10 for them. Also i want to connect every for network interfaces with different ip classes to a Gb switch. I think it would be a strong file server with fast transfer rate. But what do you think? Is there any thing wrong or any thing can be better than this?
2 REPLIES 2
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,
it depends on planned load of your file server..
But - we use much older server with raid5 config without any problem for common use by 300 people... :)

Jan
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

"Strong" is a very open term.

Some would define it as providing fault resiliance. In that case, you would require two servers in a cluster.

The issue of how the server is actually configured may be a bigger impact to the availability than the hardware configuration, for a lot of situations too.

If you're asking about your RAID configuration, I'd be suprised if any performance difference over RAID5 was noticable for flat file storage.

One thing I note is "different IP classes". Don't assume you can give two network interfaces two different IP addresses and that this will operate as some form of "load balancing". I believe you should look into HP's teaming - supported out of the box on the hardware you refer to.