1753805 Members
7858 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Using F-Secure instead of OpenSSH

Wesley Hutton
Occasional Advisor

Using F-Secure instead of OpenSSH

My company has standardized on F-Secure as the default server software. I am looking for documentation on how to configure SIM to use F-Secure protocal.
5 REPLIES 5
Wesley Hutton
Occasional Advisor

Sorry - I meant Protocol :-)
Wesley Hutton
Occasional Advisor

Hey - who do I have to sleep with to get a response on my question?

If it's a stupid question I apologize but so far I haven't found any documents about using F-Secure instead of OpenSSH
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Looks like nobody knows the answer :-(

Anyway, I'll hazard a guess. I'm not familiar at all with SIM, but have plenty of experience on both OpenSSH and F-Secure SSH.

F-Secure SSH is compatible with OpenSSH, but it has some differences in key management and "scp" handling.
(OpenSSH's scp uses a protocol that is similar to rcp over SSH, while F-Secure's scp actually uses sftp protocol extension of SSH, which is supported by OpenSSH too. So using a F-Secure scp client with OpenSSH server works, but using a OpenSSH scp client with a F-Secure server fails.)

If you have SIM configuration instructions for OpenSSH, find any SSH-key-related parts of those instructions and figure out the equivalent actions in F-Secure style. Since you've standardized on F-Secure SSH, I assume you are familiar with the necessary actions. (If not, please read the F-Secure SSH documentation.)

The necessary changes are probably minimal, unless SIM tries to automate the key setup.

As you have standardized on F-Secure SSH, the scp caveat I mentioned above will probably not cause any trouble at all. If it does, there is a work-around: find a suitable OpenSSH "scp" binary and install it to your server as "scp1". F-Secure SSH server will detect the attempt to use OpenSSH-style scp (or SSH1-era scp, as it's also known). If the "SSH1 compatibility" is enabled, the server will start the "scp1" binary to handle the file transfer. There will be a message like "warning: using obsolete scp1" but the file transfer will succeed.

And if you're worried that introducing OpenSSH "scp" to your system will add security worries... the OpenSSH scp does not contain *any* cryptography or network code. It uses "ssh" binary (when client-side) or is used by "sshd" (when server-side) to handle the file reading/writing. The cryptography and network access is handled by ssh/sshd as usual. Read the source code of OpenSSH scp if you don't believe me.
MK
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

If you only need SSH for locally-run commands on the HP SIM CMS, HP SIM 5.1 allows you to dispense with SSH completely...
Wesley Hutton
Occasional Advisor

Unfortunately I am not by any means an expert on SSH so will take the response to someone inside my organization who hopefully can interpret the response :-)